Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,021 to 1,036 of 1036

Thread: The Gun Toter's thread

Quote Originally Posted by Florian9 View Post
    Awesome! A man's gun! I've never had the pleasure of pulling a .30-06 trigger--how's the recoil?
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorX View Post
    I never owned an -06 but I have shot one before. It's definitely harder than a .30-30. It can shake you a bit but nothing you can't handle.
    Let's just say, you know you've shot a gun when you've shot a 30-06...lol!

It kicks, kinda like a single shot 12 gauge.

but man it's accurate and it has range!

I have an -06 that I like a lot. For what/where I hunt, a 150 grain cartridge is enough and helps a bit with the recoil. I just try not to do any extended sighting in from a bench!

A most excellent way to shoot 30-06 is an M1 Garand. The Garand's semi auto mechanism uses the recoil to reload the next round.. The power is transferred to the round and the reloading mechanism. There is no painful thumping on you like the bolt actions 30-06 of a 1903 or a Remington 700, and it is so much easier on your shoulder than any 12 gauge recoil.

You'll still find many very well cared for examples of these wonderful old 30 caliber gals around for about 800 to 1000 bucks. They are highly accurate and easy to care for.
    Colossians 1 :16 "For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him" Colossians 1:17 "He is before all things and in Him all things hold together",

Quote Originally Posted by ToHimforHim View Post
    A most excellent way to shoot 30-06 is an M1 Garand. The Garand's semi auto mechanism uses the recoil to reload the next round.. The power is transferred to the round and the reloading mechanism. There is no painful thumping on you like the bolt actions 30-06 of a 1903 or a Remington 700, and it is so much easier on your shoulder than any 12 gauge recoil.

You'll still find many very well cared for examples of these wonderful old 30 caliber gals around for about 800 to 1000 bucks. They are highly accurate and easy to care for.
    Actually it's a gas system. Like in the AK, SKS, AR(although most AR's have a direct gas impingement system without any gas pistons or rods) , etc. As the bullet flies past the gas port (where a hole in the barrel allows for fired powder gas to enter) The gasses push the mechanism of whatever kind it is and causes the bolt carrier and bolt to be pushed backward and then the return spring pushes them forward and cycles the action and chambers the next round. They don't really use blowback actions with higher powered rounds like those. You see those more in rimfires and handguns.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

I love my 30.06 Remington but one should understand that the kick can surprise - and hurt - if one does not properly shoulder the weapon.

For just plain old long range target practice, I like my .270 and .223.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

M1 Garand action..... both of you are right. [Mini-14, M1a are similar - M1 carbines appear similar too.]

The ported gas activates a piston arm which has a slot to engage a stub on the bolt. As the piston travels back the slot causes the stub to rotate the bolt thus unlocking it.

At that point - the remaining pressure in the chamber pushes the bolt back and starts the reload cycle. The spring then returns the Piston arm carrying the bolt/next round back to battery and relocks the bolt.

This is called firing from a closed bolt. If the bolt did not lock, it could be blown out of the receiver - a possible consequence of a "slam fire" typically caused by bad ammo/primers.

There are guns that fire from an unlocked or even an open bolt - like sub-machine guns, but the design is different to handle the pressures. [ Or the pressures are much lower - like .22 or pistol rounds]

Although I don't have an '06, my 8mm VZ24 mauser and son's Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54r have similar kicks, yet with straighter military stocks and long barrels they are far better than my old Win 94 carbine in 30-30.

That short barrel, dropping heel, steel but-plate... kicked really hard.

** M1 Garands are pricey around here, last one I saw for less than $1000 was so beat up, I'd be afraid to fire it.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

I was thinking about using a gun grease on my AK instead of the usual lighter gun oil I use for lubing the action. Would it be better to get some for it or would the regular gun oil I use be fine enough for it? Apparently the grease is a better "heavy action" lubricant for such a rifle from what I heard.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

Quote Originally Posted by Florian9 View Post
    Awesome! A man's gun! I've never had the pleasure of pulling a .30-06 trigger--how's the recoil?
    I was standing in the lane at the range next to someone shooting one of those. I could feel the shockwave through the plexiglass. Big round
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Warriorx,

Ever use Frog Lube? It has some real advantages in hot weather, and if applied properly, works really well. Its also non-toxic.

Unfortunately, I over lubed my Beretta and when winter came, the firing pin gummed up causing a f2f [fail to fire].

Apparently the trick is to apply lightly, get the gun hot and remove the excess as it only needs to get into the pores of the metal.

My 1911a1 works beautifully with it as does my SR556. Your AK should do fine with it.

However my Berettas seem to have tighter tolerances and work best with Hoppes Gun Oil.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Warriorx,

Ever use Frog Lube? It has some real advantages in hot weather, and if applied properly, works really well. Its also non-toxic.

Unfortunately, I over lubed my Beretta and when winter came, the firing pin gummed up causing a f2f [fail to fire].

Apparently the trick is to apply lightly, get the gun hot and remove the excess as it only needs to get into the pores of the metal.

My 1911a1 works beautifully with it as does my SR556. Your AK should do fine with it.

However my Berettas seem to have tighter tolerances and work best with Hoppes Gun Oil.
    Naw, haven't used Frog Lube but I've heard good things about it. I do have Balistol(which does coat and get into pores really well) though and a light oil or two. My cousin said he uses white lithium grease in his N-PAP AK and says it does really well. He also talked about using the Balistol to basically season the chamber of shotguns for example. Said he'll clean them out good, apply the Balistol, then use a hair dryer to heat it up a bit and then repeat it another time or two and it really gets the chamber coated. He brought that up because I mentioned the issue of the bulk Winchester 12 gauge rounds have had some issues with expanding in the chamber of a Maverick 88 and causing extraction issues. Of course that's the only combination I've heard of that gets stuck in an 88 and so happens that I have some of those shells too. lol. So I'll have to check that out with mine. Of course I wouldn't be using those in defense anyway - I've got 00 Buck loaded in that one. I've got the Security 7+1 model. Can't have too many rounds at your immediate disposal you know... lol.

Seasoning, that is what they recommend with Frog Lube.
    I have an embossing gun (like a hair dryer but a bit hotter) that I can use. A good hot sunny day will work too.

Sounds like a good idea if you have a sticky chamber.

I had an older friend who used only 3-in-1 oil and never had a problem. Most local shops seem to recommend RemOil.

Then there was a friend who did competition shooting who only used silicone and special chamois-rags.
    But it seems he was constantly wiping down his guns.

Lithium grease? I have had a few guns that had applications here and there. The stuff seems to be a dirt magnet - especially on .22s.
    I prefer a spray oil to clean then a wipe down after.

My wife and I finished our conceal carry mandated class, and we're waiting for our permit to carry. I ask for all your prayers that those of us who carry, will never have to use it. But, if put in a situation where lives are in danger, we will end that threat, and not cause injuries to innocents.

Congrats Andy and Company.
    And the training doesn't end there.

There are many youtubes and other training materials out there for CCW. Being prepared is important, but being able to take in a situation, make snap judgment calls, and consider deadly force...

Remember even the police are pushed to the limits.

Never stop training - learning. Especially when life and death are the choices.

Being a steward of God's word carries even more weight. Same choices, but eternal consequences.

Never stop: learning, living, sharing.

Great points Wally. As a retired Marine, I know the importance of proper training. We have been going to the range at least once a week, and practicing quick draws from the concealed carry. I have read at least 10 articles on top concealed carry mistakes.
    Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

I'd practice more if I knew I had a supply of ammo that wasn't going to run out overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorX View Post
    I'd practice more if I knew I had a supply of ammo that wasn't going to run out overnight.
    Become a re-loader.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven