Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1000

Thread: The Gun Toter's thread

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmon View Post
    Those units require explanation. 5.45 mm x 39 rounds? 5.45 inches x 39 feet?

I believe the term for hootman is ... gun noob.

7.62x54r.... yea, Mosin-Nagants were already onto the .308 kick before everyone else.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

slapfight....?

I was thinking the scene from Police Squad where the two guys are taking pot-shots at each other from behind barrels at like...6 feet....
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

7.62x54r.... yea, Mosin-Nagants were already onto the .308 kick before everyone else.
    Wow! No offense, but noobish is close---I still love ya Hooty!

Wish I had a Mosin, but there's just not enough room. Now a .308 (7.62x51) oh yes!
    John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

found it hootmon.... from the comedy............ Police Squad ----- slapfight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmon View Post
    Those units require explanation. 5.45 mm x 39 rounds? 5.45 inches x 39 feet?
    AK74 shoots 5.45x39 That's a 5.45mm (22cal) bullet with a cartridge case 39mm long.

Case is the old 7.62x39 cartridge necked down to accept a 22 cal. bullet.

found it hootmon.... from the comedy............ Police Squad ----- slapfight.

How come they never have to reload?

reload? Not in Hollywood.

Note also how the shots have to be thrown out of the pistols. Talk about low-velocity rounds.....

Well, latest gun show was one of the best ever. Ammo, magazines, cases all at low or reasonable prices.

Trade prices were much better.
    I was lucky to find a Beretta 84F in .380. It was like mint condition and shoots fantastically. It is my official carry.
    It seems most of the older metal Berettas are getting hard to find and very pricey.

I also managed to trade a couple shotguns for a Chech vz.24. Although battle worn, the barrel is fine and the action is perfect.
    I was hoping to find an Israeli vz.24, but I've only seen a couple on the net and they were fetching $$$$.

DS was touting his Mosin-Nagant until he saw the 8mm Mauser round. He was impressed.

Now we wait for range time and see who has best score - 50 yards, iron sights.

Yes! I have been in Cabela's a couple times now...... .22rf ammo is still on the shelves.

Perhaps those who horded might soon be selling at a loss.....

I have been having some difficulty finding 8mm Mauser. Too many WWII German rein-actors I guess.

Anyone been out for deer? A couple co-workers did well - with crossbows.

A month or so ago I found out that Louisiana had passed two amendments in the last year or so. The first one allows for former military to pay only half price for the concealed carry license. The second allows for lifetime license. So former military only pay $250 for a lifetime CC license. I went ahead and took the class. Just waiting for the paperwork to go through (8 to 12 weeks). While waiting I went ahead and purchased a Beretta Nano. I really like it so far. I haven't taken it to the range yet but I will very soon.

Nanos are nice.

I prefer metal but then a Beretta 87Target is not cheap.

Hopefully the range is not too far. Its good to get a lot of practice and training. Alot of training is free when you join a club.

Nanos are nice.

I prefer metal but then a Beretta 87Target is not cheap.

Hopefully the range is not too far. Its good to get a lot of practice and training. Alot of training is free when you join a club.

There are a couple of indoor ranges that I like but both are about an hour's drive. Well, come to think of it just about everything is about an hour's drive from where I live.

But you're right though, I do need to practice with it.

I have a Glock 19 with Tru Dot night sights. My first and only gun so far, I bought the pistol used a few years ago, it was a duty weapon, and it is well broken in like an old pair of jeans. In darkness, the night sights light up pretty well, but in any kind of dim light, it is super hard to acquire the sights, especially the front sight. In full light, the whiteness of the dots is pretty faded. I can pick up my wife's new-bought S&W M&P 9c, bring it up to my eye, and the sights are right on, no time hunting for them. I think that's partly the superior ergonomics of that model, but also her plain sights are bright white, being pretty new. Course, ya can't see them for anything in a dark room, but in half or full light they are bingo on.

I am thinking it's time to re-fit my Glock with some new sights. I would love (I think) to have something that combines fiber optics in the day with night sights for darkness, and works well in half-light or kinda backlit scenes also. But not sure if that exists. When I google on it, there's just a ton of stuff to wade through. Red dots, lasers, I'm not sure I want to add any more modes of possible failure, or any additional complexity to train on, just something reliable and simple, like the pistol itself.

Any suggestions?

I finally popped off my G21 today. First time on it. 39 rounds of Tulammo 230gr fmj's. Shot some up-standing logs with it. I shot at the top of it a couple times and there are bullets lodged in the top of it from skidding into the wood so they are sitting parallel to the top of the log about bullet-width from the surface.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

sights... Tritium is the regular word that comes up for sights although I do not have any.

I prefer building the snowman.

Take the time and think through the application - lighting, distance, purpose. Also visit a gun shop and look at the options. Find what works for you.

I tried red dots (rail mount) and found them cumbersome, and as your distance changes, they became unreliable.
    Standard flat white sights works fine for me. My old Ruger Mark II had a box/square outline that worked well.

My target Beretta has a 3 colour dot scope which mounts on the top rail and works great.

As for the snowman.... I first encountered this sight on an M9. My Beretta 84 has it standard. It is a white circle on top of a white semi circle.
    I was amazed how fast I could line up this type. I intend to replace my 96A1 sights with these [adjustable if possible].

In low/no light, I have fount a tight beamed flashlight to be the best. Hand held or rail mounted, it illuminates the target as your sights become clear black silhouettes.
    That is my set up on my .22 MP5 to chase off those night varmints who go after our animals.

Yay!

I have a Ruger SR40 in black. (I have picture of it but don't know how to put those up.)

Haven't fired it much but the times I have I absolutely love it.

I have a question. Currently I'm not a gun owner. However, I'm considering purchasing a hand-gun for my wife. She is in real estate and there have been several violent crimes lately against women in her occupation and she's concerned. Any suggestions on the type of gun that would be good for her? She would get a conceal carry permit and carry in her purse. Also, while I'm at it, I may purchase a gun for me as well....any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I posted this on another thread a while back. Part of the question was taking money to purchase a firearm, but there is more to consider:

For what it is worth;

There are several serious aspect to gun ownership, please consider all of them:

First, You have to weigh the need. If you are financially strapped then no, you cannot eat steel or ammo. Food and heating oil come first.
    But, a firearm need not be expensive. I have a single shot 20 gauge shotgun I bought at auction for $25. The gun was like-new.

Second, the application. What is it for? Varmints, home defense, hunting, personal defense... each application has best choice.
    Obviously if you intend to join a militia, you need a semi-auto or at least a bolt action military rifle.
    Hunting - shotgun for birds, rifle for deer, cannon for t-rex.....fortunately we don't have many around here...
    and then pistol for personal carry defense.

Typically a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun is a fine all purpose gun. There are different barrels for some guns which makes them more versatile.

Third, and this is critical, you will need two things: Training and the Will to use the gun.
    Without either you are wasting money and pose more of a danger to self and family before any burglar.

I've seen kids brag about what they can do in some video game, but come their first time at bagging a squirrel- and gutting it, well they loose it.
    A parent must be careful before letting a child move into the ranks of gun ownership. Character is critical.

Likewise an adult may fear hiking down a trail, but without training in self-defense (including your legal responsibilities), range practice, and the will to use the gun,
    you will likely just wind up a victim and arming some other creep.

Shooting sports are exciting, challenging, and fun. Hunting can put food on the table or be a required skill (I've taken down rabid raccoons and other sick/injured animals).

But safety is imperative. If you are serious, look for a gun club that offers safety and shooting courses.

But in all this, pray. God did not make everyone to be soldiers, police, or even hunters. Don't be pushed to be something you are not.
    The Lord will provide our needs. He is our shield - for the soul.

It is far better (ok perfect) to be armed with His Word dwelling richly in us. And His Love casts out fear.

***added*** Another suggestion is to make friends who can watch your six [behind you].
    You might find it better to practice safety in numbers and follow other good habits instead of bearing the responsibility of carrying and using a firearm.

I would suggest you go through this rather old thread for tips and suggestions as this subject has come up before. .380, .32, 22WMR are suggested cartridges for ladies.

Any new toys expected under the Christmas Tree?

I've been able to complete my 1937 VZ-24 with, sling, cleaning rod, and a CZ 1923 bayonet (DS actually surprised me with it as a gift)

Now finding 8mm Mauser has been a chore. It seems the only stuff out there is Serbian PPU.
    I know many around this area have old sporterized Mausers and with deer season started, it would explain the shortage.

.22rf again have become elusive, and 22 WMR is also rare. Plenty of .17 HMR though.

Anyone having luck filling the freezer with venison?