Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: The Gun Toter's thread

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmon View Post
    Cant. Too heavy
    Then try a spinet or console.

badumpda
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

I've recently begun a little skeet shooting, not competition, of course, just some family getting together for some fun at the farm. We've got an old 100 year-old 410 shotgun. Not ideal, I know, but it's what we have right now. What would be the best shotgun to buy for shooting clay pigeons?

-Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    ...... What would be the best shotgun to buy for shooting clay pigeons?
    Hundreds of choices from yardsale/ fleamarket to $$$ specials from Finland.

What little trap shooting I've done, was with a Rem 870 20 gauge. It has a really tight pattern, light weight and low kick. [but then trap loads are lighter anyway]
    It is a pump action, so for timed competition it will be slower.
    The advantage of Remington or Mossberg is you can get additional barrels for different uses at low cost.

I know Beretta and Benelli are the popular semi-automatic 12 gauges, but they are a bit pricey.

Check out some of the local trap shoot clubs and see what is popular.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

Thanks Wally for the suggestions. I might like the one you mentioned that is light weight and low kick, as the 410 had quite a kick and left a huge bruise on my upper right arm. I will look into these guns you mentioned.

-Lynn

Thanks Wally for the suggestions. I might like the one you mentioned that is light weight and low kick, as the 410 had quite a kick and left a huge bruise on my upper right arm. I will look into these guns you mentioned.
    A semi-automatic .410 would probably have the lowest felt kick if I were to think about it. .410 is the lightest powered shell as far as the usual ones and then a semi-auto cycling absorbs a little bit more recoil than a manually cycled gun.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

Lynn: WarriorX is right in that the .410 has the lowest recoil of any shotgun. I think you may feel the kick and have a bruise based on your stance technique and where you position the buttstock. I always rest it on the soft-spot between my shoulder and chest below the clavicle. Never had a bruise there. Also, you may want to consider a butt-stock shock-absorber. They fit on the end of the stock and will severly soften any felt recoil.

Yes indeed, .410s are the lightest shotgun to shoot recoil wise.

Perhaps you are using the wrong loads. My 20 gauge handles up to 3 inch shells, but can easily fire shorter ones.
    Many trap loads have substantially less powder(much shorter brass on the shell), small fine shot, and little kick. You may want to look into different ammo.

One of the latest 12 gauges has a shock absorber built into the buttstock. This significantly reduces kick.
    Semi's also reduce recoil (as stated above) as some energy is dampened by springs during the cycling.

You might want a shotgun vest with padding where it counts (sorry none for the backside for when an 8 gauge knocks you on your kiester),
    or add a better buttpad, shockpad to your gun.

Thanks guys, WarriorX, Florian9, and Wally. I printed off your posts and will consider every suggestion that was made, especially about the kick absorber. O-w-w! Those shot guns can really hurt! But I still like the fellowship with family while shooting and plan to continue skeet shoots out in the pasture.

-Lynn

Thanks guys, WarriorX, Florian9, and Wally. I printed off your posts and will consider every suggestion that was made, especially about the kick absorber. O-w-w! Those shot guns can really hurt! But I still like the fellowship with family while shooting and plan to continue skeet shoots out in the pasture.
    I have a Mossberg 500 20ga pump...I love it...should be perfect for you

As far as I know .410 comes in 2 1/2" and 3" shells. 2 1/2" would be about the lowest power you could do as far as a shotgun lol.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

Shell length doesn't make too much difference. I had some old Peters paper shell that kicked like mules.

It's the loading. If you look at most shells, there is about 3/4 to 1 inch of brass at the base. That is the powder load.
    The hotter ones are labeled: Magnum.

Trap shells have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of brass. Much less powder. I believe there is more wadding or compression area, which soaks up energy.
    Dove loads are also lighter so as not to vaporize the bird.

The couple ladies I know who shoot trap prefer .410. Less kick, but requires more accuracy.
    Thompson Center Contenders had a vent rib .410 barrel for pistol trap shooting. Now that takes talent.

Quote Originally Posted by jonshaff View Post
    I have a Mossberg 500 20ga pump...I love it...should be perfect for you
    Thanks, Jon. Definitely need something different from what I now have, so all the help from you guys here at RR is greatly appreciated.

-Lynn