Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recipes that USE dill pickles? and lots of 'em...

Default Recipes that USE dill pickles? and lots of 'em...

oh, goodness, i know this is a bit of a weird question, but rest assured that i have never been accused of being normal....

i LOVE the giant jars that Mount Olive pickles come in, i save the occasional jars for many things...

i like them for storing my sourdough colony,
    i have used them for 'science' projects, like keeping ant colonies
    i have grown macro algae and brine shrimp for my fish tanks in them
    etc.

i decided that they would be great for storing baking flour in.
    i have tried many gladware type containers for this and have not been happy, the biggest ones cannot fit a whole new bag of flour in them, so if you have a few cups of flour left, you have to empty the container before you can put the new bag in them. If i use a pickle jar, it would fit the leftover plus the new. the jar seals and it fits in my fridge.
    i have bought those crockery sets, but they are never big enough and they only come with one large crock, and i have seen the big flour jars, which are nice- but i can't pay $14- $29 for them, especially when i need 4-5 of them.
    and the uniform glass jars of different types of flour on the counter will look kinda nice- gladware isn't pretty in comparison.

So, at about $3.89- $4.99 for a flour container + 'free' pickles, i think the jars are the way to go, but i f i slowly collect them hubby will get annoyed... "What are you saving these for?! "

so, they have to be put into immediate use for the whole shebang.

Ok, so when i send hubby out for an armful of pickle jars... i will desperately need to find something to do with all them pickles to justify my ambition!

i hope i don't end up doing the backstroke in tartar sauce!

Please, please, please help me find a use for a couple 100 dill pickles!

pistis Guest

My Walmart has 1 gallon jars for storing food, similar to the shape of the pickle jars, for under a buck each. They have a plastic screw on lid, and are see thru clear plastic containers. I keep my flour in those, and they don't smell like pickle juice either!

If you're dead set on buying pickles, the only recipes that comes to mind are salads; egg salad, tuna salad, crab salad, pea salad, pickles in thousand island salad dressing, pickles on hamburgers etc are the only times I use pickles. If you have a church event or potluck dinner, you could bring a dish of pickles to that and give them away.....I would buy the new jars from Walmart though.

Good luck!

i used to have some plastic canisters that i got from wallyworld. if you like yours then the ones i got must be different ones, lol cause mine were awful... the screw on covers would pop off if you tightened them too much (which was not enough to actually seal them airtight ), and it seemed that things got stale in them. i had tried using them to store cereal. anyway, i had been so disgusted with my experience with those that i never looked back. Maybe they are improved now or are a different brand? I'll look for them when i'm ok enough to go shopping. mine were "Aero" or some similar junk... and i mean junk!

i just might stick to the glass jars simply cause i have been hearing iffy info about storing things in plastic, and it would be one less thing to worry about. i get the pickle aroma out of the lid with baking soda paste and hot water....

i found a recipe for pickle bread- which seems to fit both purposes!

thanks!

wife Guest

Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    i used to have some plastic canisters that i got from wallyworld. if you like yours then the ones i got must be different ones, lol cause mine were awful... the screw on covers would pop off if you tightened them too much (which was not enough to actually seal them airtight ), and it seemed that things got stale in them. i had tried using them to store cereal. anyway, i had been so disgusted with my experience with those that i never looked back. Maybe they are improved now or are a different brand? I'll look for them when i'm ok enough to go shopping. mine were "Aero" or some similar junk... and i mean junk!

i just might stick to the glass jars simply cause i have been hearing iffy info about storing things in plastic, and it would be one less thing to worry about. i get the pickle aroma out of the lid with baking soda paste and hot water....

i found a recipe for pickle bread- which seems to fit both purposes!

thanks!
    Try the local sports stadium and see if they have empty jars.

Donate the pickles to homeless shelter stating that you want the jars back..LOL strange request, but they just may empty them out into another container for you

Wiener roast with pickles for buns instead of bread? This is a unique dilemma I must say.

FunMudder Guest

Invite my family over for pickle palooza We will totally take care of your dill problem :P

i was thinking of trying them sliced and deep fried, but i'm scared i won't like them. i guess that would be a good excuse to throw them into the compost then.....and if i like them....

lyngraphics Guest

i was thinking of trying them sliced and deep fried, but i'm scared i won't like them. i guess that would be a good excuse to throw them into the compost then.....and if i like them....

yummy!!!

lyngraphics Guest

I am a bit weird, but I like to make a baked potato, add butter, cheese, ranch and lots of chopped up dill pickles and smoosh (a technical kitchen term) it all together... Sometimes if we have some leftover meat, I mix it in as well with some bbq sauce... we like pickles around here It sounds kind of gross- but my family loves it!!

mmm.... my favorite part of a sub style sandwich is the part where the cheese and pickle blend together.

i have been known to take a hoagie roll and fill it with pickle and cheese slices and roll it tight in plastic wrap like a sammich cigar and leave it in the fridge to meld....

oh, dear how yummy those are! specially with evoo on them....

icebear, I'd stay with the idea of storing flour in glass. Right now, mine is stored in heavy duty plastic containers called 'Lock & Lock' from Wal-Mart. I bought them because they were advertised to be air tight, and in the past, I've had such a problem with four/grain weevils. I hate those things, and have had to throw out so many good ingredients because of their infestation. I read on this RR forum about using bay leaves to prevent this, so I've got them tucked into my flours/grains in addition to the L & L containers. As warm weather approaches, I'll see if I've finally got my flours secure. What have you been reading about using plastic for storage? I'd be interested to know.

-- Ewww Mel does not think that sounds yummy at all..

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    icebear, I'd stay with the idea of storing flour in glass. Right now, mine is stored in heavy duty plastic containers called 'Lock & Lock' from Wal-Mart. I bought them because they were advertised to be air tight, and in the past, I've had such a problem with four/grain weevils. I hate those things, and have had to throw out so many good ingredients because of their infestation. I read on this RR forum about using bay leaves to prevent this, so I've got them tucked into my flours/grains in addition to the L & L containers. As warm weather approaches, I'll see if I've finally got my flours secure. What have you been reading about using plastic for storage? I'd be interested to know.
    i have seen in general that storing in plastic supposedly leaches chemicals into the foods over time and some claims that some food storage containers are not always made of food safe plastic i havn't done much research on this, because you get some websites that have a real hysterical tone to them.
    but also i do like the glass, i own birds- lots of them and even though we don't generally have grain moth problems, it takes about 2 days of letting down your guard and half your pantry is ruined. we freeze the birds' seed and pellet mixes (in the winter we just leave the 50# bags of bird food in the trunk of the car for 3 days) before the packages are opened to prevent any possible infestations. i once a number of years ago, bought a 20# bag of wild bird seed at walmart and put it in a closet, i think 3-4 weeks later i had the worst moth plague i had ever seen. i had to throw out boxes of cereal, the famous walmart 'airtight' canisters of flour, bake mixes etc. i never knew about flour moths before that. i was wondering where all the little moths were coming from- i'd forgotten about the seed in the closet breeding them...
    anyway, since that experience i am a bit paranoid, glass jars will let me see into the flour better, i just like the look of glass better, it has a cleaner look- to me, they are still fairly cheap and i know those lids seal tight...i just didn't want to come off like i was completely dissing Pistis' helpful suggestions, especially when it works so well for her.

my potted bay laurel is in its springtime leaf-growing stage, so i won't have any usable leaves for a month yet- but i'll try putting a few leaves in each jar to see if it helps... i even sift and refrigerate store bought flours- i never want to have to throw out food like that again.

...and i even found a pickle soup recipe

FunMudder Guest

Even since reading this I've been craving fried pickles

lyngraphics Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funmudder View Post
    Even since reading this I've been craving fried pickles
    mmmmm.... yummy!! Especially with some Ranch to dip them in! Why am I gravitating towards the food threads today???

wife Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lyngraphics View Post
    mmmmm.... yummy!! Especially with some Ranch to dip them in! Why am I gravitating towards the food threads today???
    Maybe it has something to do with the "moon cycle"

Fried pickles sound yummy

enjoy your fried pickles, but do NOT save any fpr me..

FunMudder Guest

they are good with fried mushrooms too

lyngraphics Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funmudder View Post
    they are good with fried mushrooms too
    Oh, ya'll are killin' me! It's a good think I worked out today!

FunMudder Guest

ever have fried green tomatoes?