Thread: My child snorts constantly - any recommendations?

Default My child snorts constantly - any recommendations?

Hi all. I know this is a weird reason for a thread, but my 5 year old daughter snorts constantly. I'm talking about snorting her snot up her nose - gross, I know. It is almost constant. It is loud, gross, and gets so obnoxious after the umpteenth time. I tell her to blow her nose, and she does. She blows hard and nothing comes out. She has no allergies that we know of. She isn't sick. It's almost like she has snot way up in her sinuses - too high to blow it out.
    It has been going on for about a year now. Besides driving us crazy people look at her in disgust when we are in public. Family members make comments as to why she does that.

Does anyone else's child do this? Did anything help? Thanks

nurse09 Guest

Have you taken her to see an allergist? My daughter was doing that ALL the time. And would always clear her throat and cough at night. I thought it was just because of some nasal draining, but I was wrong. We took her to see an allergist and found out that she has asthma. She is on Advair and nasonex. She has been on these meds for over 2 months and the snorting, coughing, hacking and clearing of the throat are gone. If your daughter is doing this all the time it would be in the best interest to take her to the Dr.

Hope she gets better!! s
    Last edited by nurse09; June 14th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.

Sing4Him Guest

see a dr. she could have a middle ear problem also (large tonsils etc)

Barkley Guest

If she has problems blowing her nose without producing anything try a saline nasal spray.
    When spring kicked in I was stuffed but nothing would happen and I was getting sinus migrains. Meds did not even work so I tried the saline nasal spray and it worked for me. I live in a dry climate and have allergies.
    It may be worth a shot before the prescription drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing4Him View Post
    see a dr. she could have a middle ear problem also (large tonsils etc)

Biblenuggetlady Guest

Agree...I'd take her to see an ENT.

Okay you ladies convinced me. I'm going to set up an appointment with our allergist this week. Thanks!

chel0524 Guest

Sounds like sisus problems. Could be enlarged tonsils causing it.

ImHis Guest

sounds like alergies, and snorting the only way to relieve the "inner nose itch"
    and/or maybe she needs her adenoids removed.

It might also be her adnoids are large. My youngest has her sinuses tipped backwards...it caused lots of problems.

It is good that you are making an appointment.

nurse09 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmieAZ View Post
    Okay you ladies convinced me. I'm going to set up an appointment with our allergist this week. Thanks!
    Let us know how the appointment turns out.

my mom was plagued by a constant post nasal drip... she would make a squeaking noise every so often to make the tickle stop... her Dr suggested taking some OTC allergy meds even though she didn't think she was allergic to anything, but it helped a lot.

hopefully its something simple like that... keep us updated