Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Dummies - Guess Who Doesn't Believe in God?

Jubilee21 Guest

Default Calling all Dummies - Guess Who Doesn't Believe in God?

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/new...f&floc=NI-ntk1

This headline caught my attention before I was going to sign off..and when I read it, found myself making dent's in both my head and my desk

People who have high IQs are less likely to believe in God than people of average and below average intelligence, according to Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at Ireland's University of Ulster.

Lynn claims that the general decline in religious observance over the last century is directly related to a rise in average intelligence. The smarter we are the more likely we are to shun religious services? Not so fast. Lynn's critics charge that his analysis is simplistic.

And it's not just highly educated adults. Lynn says most children in elementary school believe in God, but as they grow into adolescence and their intelligence increases, many begin to have doubts. As the populations of 137 developed nations have become more intelligent in the past century, their religious beliefs have declined, he insists.
    Self-explanatory obviously..but it just boggles the mind of this "dummy" how folks can actually boast of being intelligent when this is how they use that God given brain of their's for this nonsense..what a waste of both brain cells and a college education.

Definately a sign of human pride and arrogance fulfilling God's definition of what it takes to be a fool when it comes to the wisdom of men..

Even a rock knows its creator - Luke 19:40

"I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out."

This was during the Triumphal Entry when ‘the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen: "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"'

‘Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples!"' vs. 38-39

Jesus then makes this statement about the crowd voicing praise to God. That if they are silenced the stones will cry out.

Precious Jesus..it is my prayer that you find me as "dumb as a rock" when it comes to knowing you are my creator!

sojourner Guest

Thanks for these good observations.

This reminds me of what our apostle Paul said about us being "lively stones" built up as His Temple. On forums such as this one,,,these "stones" certainly do cry out ! And Paul saying that he was a "fool" for Christ. Lord, then let me have an IQ of 4.

Just Ron Guest

I am a dumb as a rock, gun-totting, Jesus-lovin, typical white person.

Did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Ron View Post

Did I miss anything?

I think that covered it adequately.
    "Even so, come Lord Jesus, come. Even so....come and take Your Bride away. How my soul longs to be with You, my Lord! Even so, even so, come, Lord Jesus, come!" (Rev. 22:20)...Terry MacAlmon Music Ministries

Just Ron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patti311 View Post
    I think that covered it adequately.
    Whoops! I did miss somethin'!

Let's see here.

I am a dumb-as-a-rock, gun-tottin', Jesus-lovin, typical white person, FUNDAMENTALIST!

Whew. That's a mouthful.

Whoops! I did miss somethin'!

Let's see here.

I am a dumb-as-a-rock, gun-tottin', Jesus-lovin, typical white person, FUNDAMENTALIST!

Whew. That's a mouthful.
    NO!! A mouthful is "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese , pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun"!
    Last edited by Patti311; June 22nd, 2008 at 12:20 PM.
    "Even so, come Lord Jesus, come. Even so....come and take Your Bride away. How my soul longs to be with You, my Lord! Even so, even so, come, Lord Jesus, come!" (Rev. 22:20)...Terry MacAlmon Music Ministries

Just Ron Guest

NO!! A mouthful is "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese , pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun"!
    ROLF!

You got me there, Patti!

Amanda's mom Guest

Did I miss anything?

me too.

What is it in the Bible...something along the line of "They profess themselves to be wise but they are fools"?

Jubilee21 Guest

"He who trusts in his own heart is a fool...." Proverbs 28:26

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, 'He catches the wise in their own craftiness'; and again, 'The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.'" 1 Corinthians 3:19-20

"...the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14-15

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are saved it is the power of God. For it is written: 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.'

"Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?"

"For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men." 1 Corinthians 1:18-25

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.' Psalm 53:1

"Fools mock at sin, but among the upright there is favor." Proverbs 14:9

"A fool has no delight in understanding, but in expressing his own heart." Proverbs 18:2

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools..." Romans 1:20-22

"The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
    But the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.
    It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise than for a man to hear the song of fools.For like the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool.This also is vanity." Ecclesiastes 7:4-6

He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will be destroyed." Proverbs 13:20

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but he who heeds counsel is wise." Proverbs 12:15

Peter Speaks in Solomon's Portico ( Acts 3)

11 While he clung to Peter and John, all the people, utterly astounded, ran together to them in the portico called Solomon's. 12 And when Peter saw it he addressed the people:

“Men of Israel, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk? 13 The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant [2] Jesus, whom you delivered over and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him. 14

But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, 15 and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses. 16 And his name—by faith in his name—has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus [3] has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all.

17 “And now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did also your rulers. 18 But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ would suffer, he thus fulfilled. 19 Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out"

So much for intelligence that act's in ignorance..and calls this intelligence , wisdom!

Faith has nothing to do with the absence of intelligence ...it has to do with the absence of ignorance..

The Epitome of Pride

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools

Romans 1:22 (KJV)

It's really a shame that a blessing such as higher intelligence can actually serve to undermine one's need for faith.

It certainly underlines the fact that there's a difference between intelligence and common sense.

I just don't see how anyone can look at the Earth and all it's diverse beauty of flora and fauna, a sunset over the ocean, the majesty of a lightning storm, etc and NOT see that a creator had a hand in it.

Greg

Yeah, I never was too smart. Stupid me, I'm going to spend eternity in the presence of my prescious Saviour where I'll never hunger or thirst. I will never sorrow or suffer loss. I'll never be sick or in any kind of pain and I'll never have to deal with sin or its consequences any more, whether mine or anyone else's. Yeah, I'm stupid all right.

That "I'm too smart to believe in God" doesn't make sense to me, personally. When somebody claims that, I wonder how they walk this earth, and make such a vast claim, from such a limited vantage point, and with no real evidence to offer. Therefore, it isn't logical to make such a statement, IMO.

Arguement: "If there were a God, then there wouldn't be suffering."
    Reply: Says who? The ideals of God found in your own mind? (The Bible shows God allows suffering, including sending His own Son to suffer and die for the world's sins).

A: "I've looked through telescopes and I see no God."
    R: Well, our telescopes are obviously very limited. Can you provide a picture of all things seen and unseen from every corner of the gargantuan Universe? (Obviously, no. Therefore, that arguement is void. Plus, the Bible shows God is Spirit, and Christ is the image of the invisible God).

A: "I believe in evolution of all things."
    R: Well, ok, you put your faith in a scientific theory, which has a lot of problems and holes. And, in your belief in evolution, what you're ultimately saying is you don't believe in the creation account in Genesis, and thus, don't believe in the God of Israel revealed in the Bible (which is the one, true, living God). So, how does your belief in evolution disprove a "Supreme Being" in general, though?

I could go on. But, I find that no arguement a person has, justifies a stance to proclaim there is no God, and to act like they are "too smart to believe in a God", while putting others down. In fact, I've heard as scientists study more and more, they find creation more complex than ever believed -- including the staggering complexity found in a single human cell.
    Last edited by RefinedbyFire; June 22nd, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
    And Jesus said to her, Neither do I condemn you: go, and sin no more. (John 8:11b, NKJV)
    Marvel not that I said to you, You must be born again. -Jesus (John 3:7, NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by jadeeyes View Post
    Yeah, I never was too smart. Stupid me, I'm going to spend eternity in the presence of my prescious Saviour where I'll never hunger or thirst. I will never sorrow or suffer loss. I'll never be sick or in any kind of pain and I'll never have to deal with sin or its consequences any more, whether mine or anyone else's. Yeah, I'm stupid all right.
    Well, that's the kind of stupidity that appeals to me.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18 (KJV)

Jubilee21 Guest

The very fact someone devoted their life to studying this and to commit it to a search for meaning via scientific research when it comes to intelligence just boggles me...

Obviously that if someone does not believe in God..that is a subjective product of their application of their "God given intelligence"

In otherwords what ever criteria they used just reinforced the outcome they wanted to confirm..it did not provide evidence there is no God, the evidence that does simply was disregarded..as evidence. God offered us Christ..take it or leave it..it does not change the evidence as being either fact or proof.

Granted this particular fella was interested in religion, nor singled out Christianity persee...obviously the point was that if someone is 'smart enough' they will recognize religion, aka the existence of God is reduntanly unwarrented..intelligence explains everything eventually and will by virtue arising from human beings demonstrate there is no God..just forces of nature I suppose.. is the gist..

But like everything in this line of reasoning..it's lame..because it insists on answers that do not cohere without contradiction..

What this fella seems to be "missing" is that for Christians..Jesus fills every hunger of the heart as well as every pursuit of the mind..and has provided answers that correspond to reality - for this "dummy"..

>His gospel tells me that I am a moral being made for a purpose, so I know how I came to be!

>My meaning is found in knowing and loving Him, so I know what brings meaning!

>My moral choices are based upon His character, so I know how to determine right from wrong!

>My destiny is to live in eternity, so I know what happens to a person when they ( he or she) dies!

least that was my take on it..why should I rely upon Mother Nature for things she can't answer, she is simply God's secretary if we want to play semantics over 'forces of nature'..they are all God's 'employee's..

Goodness gracious.. life's most tender and awe inspiring significance does not arise or abide in the realm of science , nor a product of religion's exhausting theological debates of these "wonderlands", but by way of the relationships we share the wonders of Christ Jesus, Son of God and Son of man.

Our God and His universe,that the creator of this Universe seeks a relationship with us,..His beings specificaly, created for being in a relationship with!!!

Furthermore He has explicitly demonstrated this and provided "proof" in a very "inteligent" way that defies any mortal wisdom to dismiss this truth because it simply can not be. It can be ignored, it can not be deemed as not existing...even the rocks know better..than to go that route, and know that Jesus is the rock upon which all else stands.

Also goes to show you G.K Chesterson's observations ring true -

"The tragedy of disbelieving in God, is not that a person ends up believing in nothing. It is much worse,..he may end up believing in anything!"

or as this "dummy " would say the fundemental problem exposed with this study is that is was not seeking truth at all as to if God does indeed exisit..there is no lack of evidence to this truth, that would be Christ Jesus.

Instead, it was about the hypocrisy of the search for it on behalf of the one who was conducting it..because knowable truth was ignored..and borne out in the ignorance of the conclusions that were 'chosen' to be found.

Mr.( Professor or Dr.) Lynn:

The sheep will not follow a stranger's voice, for they do not know the voice of a stranger..read the parable of the Good Shephered..the sheep are not, dumb, they are not blind, nor are they crazy at all..they just know their Master's voice and He knows them by name, (John 10: 3-5)

Not even close! This is a mouthful:
    Big Mac, Filet of Fish, Quarter Pounder French Fry;
    Icy Coke, Thick Shake, Sundae and Apple Pie! (LOL, and the USA wonders where the obesity epidemic is coming from!) I remembered that from the 80's, LOL

Or:

Picky people pick Peter Pan Peanut Butter. It's the peanut butter picky people pick (try saying that 5 times fast! )!

God bless you!

Suzi

Reminds me of the following passages:

Mark 10:15 & Luke 18:17

They both speak of having a child like faith.

Just a thought: I believe that science actually POINTS TO THE EXISTENCE OF GOD. Not the other way around. The further into the heavens we peer, the deeper into matter we delve, the more undeniable the presense of an intelligent creator: GOD.

sophie Guest

Did I miss anything?

You forgot "Bitter."