Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tattoo & Piercing page

Kelly4C Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AussieK View Post
    Not fair.

I have several tattoos and a branding. I love them all and resent the implication that by having them I am somehow "stupid".

Not understanding something doesn't necessarily make it bad.

I would venture to say that a lot of people will think it is stupid simply because it um, hurts real bad? It's like, self mutilation. Most people would not want to be "branded" like an animal. It's just torture isn't it? Maybe they numb ya real good. But anyways, just because someone might think it is a stupid thing to DO doesn't mean they assume you are a stupid person. Plenty of smart people have done crazier things.

ow ow ow ow ow ow

I think I'll pass on that one
    -------------------------------------
    www.needGod.com by Living Waters / Ray Comfort
    Hell's Best Kept Secret by Ray Comfort / Living Waters
    This guy has some awesome sermons:
    http://www.getalifemedia.com/
    or to shortcut to a *great* series: The Final Countdown Youtube playlist by Billy Crone

Someone once said to me "'We are made in the image of God' and that is why Satan wants to encourage us to deform ourselves". God's wonderful workmanship grafittied.

Let's face it Satan himself was the most beautiful of all Angels I guess he is jealous that he isn't beautiful anymore so why should we be.

Default evil

There is a whole culture out there that is into "body modification". It's very scary and I pray for the people who don't know the Lord
    DSC_010TN.jpg
    When the devil reminds you of your past, REPENT & REMIND him of his future

ChristineMarie Guest

I have a tatoo as well, so does my son, many in fact.

Do I think this falls into a bit of a different catagory. Yes.

But I think there is a huge differece fom those that get a simple tat that has some meaning too them, compared to the whole body piercing, self mutlilation movement.

And this is nothing new, For it is written there is nothing new under the sun.

Sorry if I struck a nerve with few, I was commenting on the article not the poster.
    Last edited by ChristineMarie; October 31st, 2007 at 10:48 AM.

Theresa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineMarie View Post
    I have a tatoo as well, so does my son, many in fact.

Do I think this falls into a bit of a different catagory. Yes.

But I think there is a huge differece fom those that get a simple tat that has some meaning too them, compared to the whole body piercing, self mutlilation movement.

And this is nothing new, For it is written there is nothing new under the sun.

Sorry if I struck a nerve with few, I was commenting on the article not the poster.
    I agree. I did not mean to insult anyone here. While I do not have a tattoo and do not see a day when I will, I agree there is a difference between getting a tattoo and mutilating your body. Accept my apologies if anyone was insulted by any of my remarks.

Yes the branding hurts, but for people that are into the 'bdsm' scene, they really enjoy the huge endorphin rush.

in my late 20's there where severeal tat's and at least one branding I wanted. I never did because of being able to get and keep a professional job. Now that I'm almost 40, I honestly still would like to get one tat but I think I'd skiip the branding, even if it is a huge endorphin rush A good hard workout that includes heavy squats or deadlifts gives the same rush

I guess I look at the reason people do things, not just the fact they did something.

ChristineMarie Guest

The Annointing of the Holy Spirit is enough of Adrenalin for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsy View Post
    Someone once said to me "'We are made in the image of God' and that is why Satan wants to encourage us to deform ourselves". God's wonderful workmanship grafittied.
    DISCLAIMER - I'm not judging anyone, nor am I saying that tatoos are a sin or anything...

But this is the way I have always looked at tatooing as well:

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.

If we are the temple of God, wouldn't getting a tatoo be equivalent to putting grafitti on the Temple? Even if it is a Christian tatoo or involves Christian symbolism...

Just a thought...and again read my disclaimer before responding. I'm not condemning, judging, or trying to hurt the feelings of anyone that has a tatoo. Just sharing how I've always seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kknight View Post
    DISCLAIMER - I'm not judging anyone, nor am I saying that tatoos are a sin or anything...

But this is the way I have always looked at tatooing as well:

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.
    I have read the above verse in regards to tattooing before and had it told to me when I was considering getting this tatt. I am taking the defiling the temple of God as something vile, i.e. participating in sexual immorality, drunkeness or associations w/unbelievers'.

A reference verse in my Bible is 1 Corinthians 6:18-19 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you've received from God?

As for tattooing, the pain is relatively mild, I would say similar to a diabetic doing a finger poke for a blood sugar, except quite a few times.... Mine is a relatively small tatt, so maybe the larger ones are more uncomfortable. Also I have to give myself injections on a daily basis, so needles aren't a big fear of mine.

There is the difference in people's thresholds got pain and discomfort which is another whole side to the process. I would say I would never get a branding done because that is destroying several levels of tissue to get a scar to form and would be rather painful

Quote Originally Posted by moosejive View Post
    I have read the above verse in regards to tattooing before and had it told to me when I was considering getting this tatt. I am taking the defiling the temple of God as something vile, i.e. participating in sexual immorality, drunkeness or associations w/unbelievers'.
    I wasn't referring to it in that way. I was just pointing to that verse as saying that we are the temple of God. Ignore verse 17 for this purpose if you like...my only point is that if we are the temple of God, isn't getting a tatoo equivalent to putting grafitti on the temple?

The only reason I quoted verse 17 was because it is a continuation of 16, not because I think it is referring to tatooing when it talks about defiling said temple.

This is just my personal view...it's not anything I've been taught or read anywhere...

I think this is the "stupid" part that they were referrring to...I think they guy would agree that this was stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Architectlink View Post
    yep, we know someone who got branded with a bent coat hanger before he became a Christian...however the skin siezed around the coat wire in his back and they had to use needle nose plyers to pry them out of his skin....wasn't a very thought out plan

painful, and very dumb

Ask an unbeliever this simple question: why is this year even called 2013, anyway?
    ...who IS the standard measurement of all time in HIStory?

2013 A.D.
    * Anno Domini - means "Anno Domini Nostri Iesu <Jesu> Christi ("In the Year of Our Lord Jesus")

NotesOnLife Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Khristy1 View Post
    There is a whole culture out there that is into "body modification". It's very scary and I pray for the people who don't know the Lord
    DSC_010TN.jpg
    Is that tounge splitting? Thats just sick, and not in the good way, thats horrible. Bitting my tounge hurts, cant imagine 'splitting' my tounge...

Leviticus 19:28 (King James Version)
    28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:28 (New International Version)
    28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Quote Originally Posted by 1angel4u View Post

Leviticus 19:28 (King James Version)
    28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:28 (New International Version)
    28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.
    I agree that the Lord put forth these rules for the people who were before New testament times. The historical practices of tattooing and self mutilation go back to ancient pagan religions. The tattoos were thought to protect the person or were a mark that the person belonged to a certain god or cult. Like tattooing, self mutilation in ancient Eastern cultures was associated with death. Women would slash themselves as a sign of grief. The Biblical prohibition against tattoos and bodily disfigurement for the dead was directed against specific idolatrous practices, particularly erotic religious rites associated with the dead. (Lev 19:28 from NIV archaeological study Bible)

The ancient Hebrews placed a much greater emphasis on external symbolic acts than we do in the modern Western world. For instance, the ancient Hebrews were also forbidden to cut the hair at the sides of their heads (hence earlocks for the ultra Orthodox Jews) or to trim the edges of their beards. (Lev 19:27) Do not eat any meat with blood still in it. (Lev 19:26) Do not plant your fields with two kinds of seed. (Lev 19:19) Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of cloth. (Lev 19:19)

What I am reading the verses to say is that the Lord didn't want the ancient Hebrews to conform to the practices of the idolotrous pagans they lived by, but to hold themselves apart from those practices. Therefore, the rules were given to them. By the same token, we shouldn't eat pork now either, if we are faithfully following all of the ancient prohibitions that were given.

I think if somone has a tattoo done for the wrong reason or does tongue splitting as a form of rebellion against God, it is still wrong. However, one can not tar all people with tattoos or brands with the same brush. One has to look at the motivation and meaning of what has been done....IMHO

antsinmypants Guest

Branding is not new. It is still done in some African countries and some South American tribal nations... and I seem to recall other cultures that this is considered "norm" in...

I've heard of this being done also in the US; so I am unsure why this is 'new' news...

PrairieGal Guest

O.K. .... I've worked cattle (various "unappealing" jobs!), and had a job sorting hospital laundry (you never know WHAT you'll find!), and nothing in either of these settings has made me queasy or sick, despite the things that happened or the things that cropped up. But when I googled the images for the "tongue splitting," I nearly lost it!

I had a peculiar thought about snakes having "forked tongues."

Anybody seen the photos making the rounds about the lady getting a scene put on her back by basically slicing off skin? The scars healed over, and it was a scene of palm trees, or something.
    Last edited by PrairieGal; November 4th, 2007 at 06:43 PM.

Lisababy Guest

Question Tattoos

I am going to get a new tattoo. I have 5 already, very discreet tattoos. a ladybug on my shoulder, a fairy on my other shoulder, a leprechaun and both of my children's names on my wrists (ok, the wrist ones aren't so discreet). I have always liked tattoos and these days they aren't so taboo anymore. But the last few months, i have felt compelled to continue my tattoos but make them scriptural in design. Tattoos are forever and are an extension of yourself. What better way to speak of the Word of God than to have it permanently tattooed on your skin? Everywhere I go, people ask me "what does that one mean?" "where were you when you got it?".

So, here's my idea of what i want and i would love some feedback from you guys on what you think. Positive feedback, negative feedback, whatever you want to say about it. On the upper half of my left arm, I want a vine of flowers and ivy circling my upper arm and down near the bottom half of my upper arm, i want to scripture reference that's in my signature: John 15:5.

So what do you guys think?

joe ross Guest

well lets see,,,,i have a entire arm full of wicked tattoos that i would love to get rid of ....i hate them and regret them and wish id never destroyed my skin.. and im not jokin,,got mine in prison and on the streets,,all i could
    say is since ive become bornagain i think its prideful and foolish to have a unbeiliver go to work on me and brand me like the world does...

i see it like this, would a beliver feel comfortable getting a tattoo with JESUS in the room,,,i think not ....we as children of GOD need not do what the world does and call it good...if a christian wants to please GOD with there body all we need to do is be set apart from what the world does ,,"be in HIS WORD reading it and hiding it in our hearts, and livin holy lives..

tattoos = vanity and pride........

GOD bless and dont be mad at me....

Soljah4Christ Guest

I would feel comfortable getting a tattoo if Jesus was in the room.