Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Are We Believers Just Too Soft?

  1. #1
    rodyshusband Guest

    Default Are We Believers Just Too Soft?

    Here is an interesting video, courtesy of Lumel at YouTube.
    Although Todd Freil can be, IMO, a bit too bombastic, it offers some food for thought...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrfgXFFrwTI


  2. #2
    willow Guest

    Default

    Does offer food for thought. I do not want us to become Revelation 3:16

  3. #3
    theroc Guest

    Default

    the way we witness, the way we vote, the way encounter every day things, I would say american christianity is very soft.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    859

    Default

    ...the way we are unwilling or unable to discern doctrine and spirits and choose to join hands ecumenically with anything and anyone, I would say American Christianity is very soft.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Dough boy soft... Churches are not what they are supposed to be. Walk into any church and you'll find people who lead all kinds of fellowship. If you want to see odd expressions, ask who lead the outreach and evangelism teams.


    The "work" of the church is neglected.

    Dan~~~>forcing the issue at my church

  6. #6
    amy_elisabeth Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mailman Dan View Post
    If you want to see odd expressions, ask who lead the outreach and evangelism teams.
    Yeah really! A gazillion excuses too.

  7. #7
    JY11 Guest

    Default

    Americans have become soft and unfortunately so has the Christian church in America. We have so show some steel on our abs. We need to be bold in our witness, even if it means someone may be offended. If God is for us, who can be against us? Time is running short and many, many souls remain lost. We need to get cracking. We are fighting atheism, mormonism, Islam, Wicca, and a whole host of cults and false religions which make up the primary "ism" known as Satanism. Additionally, we are fighting the emergent church, which can suck Christians in who don't test the spirits and who are too easily given to the whims of the flesh.

    It's go time! Let's put up our dukes!

  8. #8

    Default

    We are described as sheep, after all. Sometimes it takes someone to strongly take a stand, and others will follow. In meekness of course.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  9. #9
    amy_elisabeth Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    We are described as sheep, after all. Sometimes it takes someone to strongly take a stand, and others will follow. In meekness of course.
    Yeah, but after a long time of it, it's discouraging. Feels like Jeremiah a lot. At the point now I think I've given up... I don't email my church much to ask if anyone wants to go witnessing; nobody ever emails back anyway... I even tell them if they want to just come and pray while we are out witnessing, I'd LOVE that! Nope. The pews are pretty warm and comfy...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    666

    Default

    I hear you. My pastor has even noted, that it's common to find 11 guys to play church softball any day of the week, with half the church there watching, but when we have visitation night we might get 2 people...


    Dan~~~>at least knows it's bugging him too

  11. #11
    amy_elisabeth Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mailman Dan View Post
    I hear you. My pastor has even noted, that it's common to find 11 guys to play church softball any day of the week, with half the church there watching, but when we have visitation night we might get 2 people...


    Dan~~~>at least knows it's bugging him too
    Hey, maybe we can get those 11 guys together for the softball game, cut the game short by 45 mins. and then tell the guys that we're going to pass out tracts on the corner for a bit. lol. I know, that's horrible and I would never do that to someone, but I think it would prove where their heart really is.

    Glad to hear your pastor is being bothered by this... mine isn't. He said "no" to WOTM training, but found one from C.J. Mahaney's group, "Proclaim." He's going to teach it in Sept.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amy_elisabeth View Post
    Yeah, but after a long time of it, it's discouraging. Feels like Jeremiah a lot. At the point now I think I've given up... I don't email my church much to ask if anyone wants to go witnessing; nobody ever emails back anyway... I even tell them if they want to just come and pray while we are out witnessing, I'd LOVE that! Nope. The pews are pretty warm and comfy...
    Just don't let it turn into Elijah. Whether anyone else follows, you need to follow what God would have you do. This isn't easy to hear Amy, but the Lord Himself will send people your way when He is ready. Don't lose heart, and don't be too hard on others. Maybe this is your time to stand on your own.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

  13. #13
    amy_elisabeth Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    Just don't let it turn into Elijah. Whether anyone else follows, you need to follow what God would have you do. This isn't easy to hear Amy, but the Lord Himself will send people your way when He is ready. Don't lose heart, and don't be too hard on others. Maybe this is your time to stand on your own.
    Thanks. Wise counsel.

  14. #14
    Not Perfect, But Forgiven Guest

    Default

    We can be a bit soft. Most of it is fear of the other person's response. We live in an age of fear, were voicing one's opinion could have you assaulted or charged with a hate crime. However, if you are doing the right thing, then Christ will sustain you. The Holy Spirit will let you know what is right and proper. God will not let the righteous slip. Even if man punishes you, God will turn it around and reward you for doing the right thing.

    People's judgements are so fleeting and of no worth really. The need for approval will make you silent, even when you know the right thing to say and do. Also, the fear of disapproval will stop you from witnessing to a needy soul. We have to let Christ reign over us, not our imaginations. Forget what people can or might do, God will handle them and is in full control over every aspect of anything you could possibly conjure up for yourself. You have to do what you know to be right, even if they hate you for it. 90% of people you run into won't like you anyway and never truly will, so why live to placate others? People have so many motives and fantasies, none of them godly. Free yourself from these games. Just look at Jesus: thousands wanted him dead, but He kept doing what He knew to be right. He didn't care who liked Him and who didn't; He served God anyway. Their opinions didn't matter at all. Why not be happier by serving the Lord? God always blesses those who do what's right in His will, and confounds those who try to get in the way.

    I want to tell Christians everywhere to stop living as an image in other people's minds, and start speaking the cruel bitter truth in direct honesty, and to trust in Christ for all of your needs, no matter how small. God Bless everyone.

  15. #15
    rodyshusband Guest

    Default

    In response to the video, here's my opinion, some may disagree...
    I have to say that I would speak up in church. In fact, I have and I have had to leave that church.
    As far as shouting down the Hindu prayer in congress, I don't think I would have done that. Rather, I would have made a statement by kneeling down and praying, in full view of all, to God through Christ...and would have tried to get other Christians to join me: sort of a "silent" protest. It's at a point where we almost expect the government to disregard Christianity...but an open homosexual leading a Christian worship service??? NOT ACCEPTABLE.

  16. #16
    hilhill Guest

    Default

    Yeah, I guess we are a bit too soft. I only pray if I was in a situation as in Congress with the Hindu prayer or with the gay bishop, I would be so bold to stand up and speak against it. I thought it was AWESOME what those people did on the video and I know they'll be rewarded for it in the end!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Titus 3:5-7
    Posts
    3,387

    Default

    I don't know what I'd do in either situation, but I think we are getting too soft. Too tolerant.

    On the Gene Robinson thing though, everywhere you see it talking about him being heckled. We should really start calling it like it was and start saying that he was rebuked.

  18. #18
    Kamatu Guest

    Default

    Fear of the other person's opinion. The perfect point. Not only does it apply to standing forthrightly for the assaults from without, it also applies to standing against the assaults from within. The way all of the internal issues get started comes from those who try to only point out the good things or teachings of the heretics and apostates. "Well, he teaches so well and is so right in tune with the Bible on all these things, we will just let that little bit of sin or bad doctrine slide." This leads the way to itchy ears syndrome and all the fruits of the false teacher.

    1Ti 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
    1Ti 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
    1Ti 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
    1Ti 1:6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
    1Ti 1:7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
    1Ti 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
    1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
    1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
    1Ti 1:11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
    So, we who are Christians have to deal with those who twist Scripture in various ways, make improper exegesis by ignoring Scripture that invalidates their point, put their own opinions into the Word of God and then thunder that they are speaking "Truth" so that all should agree with them. Some of those are without, the deniers of Christ, but the Christian community has taken many such into its own heart. Our task as Christians is to rebuke them. It doesn't matter what the sin it, they are to be rebuked. Yes, you must do it in love, but if they will not bend or remain in their sin, then Matthew 18 applies.

    However, before you make such a decision, remember Matthew 7. Verse 1 is the most misused of verses, but verse 2 completes it. This is why the first step is to speak to the brother you have questions about, give him a chance to explain his position. If he is still in error, then you must go further. The reason for this is very clear, if you have an issue with a brother, then it should be resolved, but being human, the possibility exists that one, either or both of you have some error that needs to be aired between you to gain understanding.

    When you find them, rebuke them, but be sure that you do not become a respecter of persons.
    1Ti 5:20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
    1Ti 5:21 I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Perfect, But Forgiven View Post
    We can be a bit soft. Most of it is fear of the other person's response. We live in an age of fear, were voicing one's opinion could have you assaulted or charged with a hate crime. However, if you are doing the right thing, then Christ will sustain you. The Holy Spirit will let you know what is right and proper. God will not let the righteous slip. Even if man punishes you, God will turn it around and reward you for doing the right thing.

    People's judgements are so fleeting and of no worth really. The need for approval will make you silent, even when you know the right thing to say and do. Also, the fear of disapproval will stop you from witnessing to a needy soul. We have to let Christ reign over us, not our imaginations. Forget what people can or might do, God will handle them and is in full control over every aspect of anything you could possibly conjure up for yourself. You have to do what you know to be right, even if they hate you for it. 90% of people you run into won't like you anyway and never truly will, so why live to placate others? People have so many motives and fantasies, none of them godly. Free yourself from these games. Just look at Jesus: thousands wanted him dead, but He kept doing what He knew to be right. He didn't care who liked Him and who didn't; He served God anyway. Their opinions didn't matter at all. Why not be happier by serving the Lord? God always blesses those who do what's right in His will, and confounds those who try to get in the way.

    I want to tell Christians everywhere to stop living as an image in other people's minds, and start speaking the cruel bitter truth in direct honesty, and to trust in Christ for all of your needs, no matter how small. God Bless everyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •