Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4282909192
Results 1,821 to 1,824 of 1824

Thread: U.S. Gay Marriage - The Media, Hollywood and on State and Federal Levels *Merged*

Quote Originally Posted by BlessdMomUv5 View Post
    Using multiple measures like clear goals, percent of giving that goes to actual cause (vs staff, overhead, advertising etc) wise stewardship of resources, etc several independent groups that score nonprofits have rated Samaritans Purse 4th of charities across the entire world. They scored 96.33 to 98.23/100, depending on which evaluation. https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=4423
    I don't have anything against Samaritans Purse, as a whole.
    It just worked out badly for me. They wasted what I gave them.
    Really, I should have known better, I have been down this road
    with other organisations, and it is one of the main reasons
    I refuse to belong to ANY organisation.

Go Fund Me etc are just mechanism to raise money. There is no control over how the money is spent at all. In fact, people have set up fraudulent accounts for cancer they don't have etc.
    I don't believe I said anything good about "Go Fund Me" and
    as for others like it, anyone can be a victim of fraud.

As far as bakers, I know that Christian-owned Masterpiece Cakeshop (as in, Our Master) in Lakewood, Colorado is still in business and their case is awaiting hearing at the Supreme Court level. I personally went almost 50 miles out of my way to buy a cake from them when I was there for my daughter's birthday and made it a point to tell them I sought them out from Missouri specifically to show my support. And I gave them a big cash donation too and pray for them.
    I am glad you did that.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    I don't have anything against Samaritans Purse, as a whole.
    It just worked out badly for me. They wasted what I gave them.
    Really, I should have known better, I have been down this road
    with other organisations, and it is one of the main reasons
    I refuse to belong to ANY organisation.

I don't believe I said anything good about "Go Fund Me" and
    as for others like it, anyone can be a victim of fraud.

I am glad you did that.
    Somebody else mentioned GoFundMe so I was just adding that to contrast. I didn't understand you personally had a bad experience with Samaritans Purse so I'm sorry for that and wasn't chastising or anything. I just read about the trouble finding transparency with them and thought I'd offer the research I did. I feel terrible; I wasn't judging your comments about SP at all, just misunderstood them. All charities are run by people so there's the human mess ups. Sorry
    Toots

Quote Originally Posted by BlessdMomUv5 View Post
    Somebody else mentioned GoFundMe so I was just adding that to contrast. I didn't understand you personally had a bad experience with Samaritans Purse so I'm sorry for that and wasn't chastising or anything. I just read about the trouble finding transparency with them and thought I'd offer the research I did. I feel terrible; I wasn't judging your comments about SP at all, just misunderstood them. All charities are run by people so there's the human mess ups. Sorry
    Hey, don't feel like that! I didn't think you were chastising me or anything.

I just thought you misunderstood my original posting, and still feel
    like you might be misunderstanding me.

With Samaritan's Purse, or virtually any other formal Charity Organization
    (Thru The Bible seems to be the only exception I have found), you need to
    either be all in, or stay out.

Once they get your address, they will spend several dollars a month, possibly
    for years, trying to get you to send more. It is just the way that almost all of
    them work. They work on emotion, and by showing you what they do, repeatedly,
    they almost always get you to give more. That doesn't work on me. At all.

(Just my opinion: If you decide to give to them, give. But give every month,
    and give a substantial amount. Else, don't let them know your address,
    so that they can't send stuff to you. )

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    Hey, don't feel like that! I didn't think you were chastising me or anything.

I just thought you misunderstood my original posting, and still feel
    like you might be misunderstanding me.

With Samaritan's Purse, or virtually any other formal Charity Organization
    (Thru The Bible seems to be the only exception I have found), you need to
    either be all in, or stay out.

Once they get your address, they will spend several dollars a month, possibly
    for years, trying to get you to send more. It is just the way that almost all of
    them work. They work on emotion, and by showing you what they do, repeatedly,
    they almost always get you to give more. That doesn't work on me. At all.

(Just my opinion: If you decide to give to them, give. But give every month,
    and give a substantial amount. Else, don't let them know your address,
    so that they can't send stuff to you. )
    Understood now thx for your reply!
    And yep, I get SP every month and BGEA but I don't feel bad. I send money twice a year. For summer and in November I have my kids do Operation Christmas Child. Other than that, my own church gets my money and occasional causes I feel led to do something for. I agree people should do what's right for them. I had a friend doing an online thirty-one party (selling personalized bags totes etc I don't need because I don't feel I need my name on everything!) so I ordered a tote that could work as a diaper bag, stylish and modern looking. I had it embroidered with "I Chose Life!" I'm filling it with diapers and baby stuff then donating to the local teen pregnancy clinic. Even though I was 26 when I had my first of five, for some reason I feel led to help teen moms know their choice is respected (even though of course we'd hope they'd wait but once done then I want to support going against society's pressure to do the "convenient" thing). Have a good evening!
    Toots