Thread: Pecan Pie Question

Default Pecan Pie Question

I am not much of a baker, sorry if this seems like a silly question.

If I bake more than one pie in the oven, how much time would I add on per pie? Or do I not add any all?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

lyngraphics Guest

That depends... are you sharing?

Seriously, I don't bake but I am sure someone can answer your question!

Biblenuggetlady Guest

Oh....my favorite!!!!! I don't think you need to leave them in longer if you have more than one in the oven....Icebear would probably know, but her's probably have something weird like dill pickles in the recipe which will change everything.

lyngraphics Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Biblenuggetlady View Post
    Oh....my favorite!!!!! I don't think you need to leave them in longer if you have more than one in the oven....Icebear would probably know, but her's probably have something weird like dill pickles in the recipe which will change everything.
    You out the pecans on top of the pickles so the juices run down into the filling... true story.

readytogo_2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jnett View Post

If I bake more than one pie in the oven, how much time would I add on per pie? Or do I not add any all?

Thanks,
    Jennifer
    You don't have to increase the cooking time because of the extra pie in the oven. Depending on how accurate your oven's heat is though, you might want to check it before the time is up. The key to pecan pie is that you should bake it until a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean.

Unless you have a super large oven, I wouldn't bake more than 2 at a time. Make sure that the pie plates don't touch each other or the sides of the oven.

phyrehart Guest

Thanks,
    Jennifer
    it really depends on your oven and how good it is.
    I would keep an eye on them after the inital time is over for one.
    If it were me I would cook them one at a time. I think you might wind up with some part of the pie not done if you did both.

Good luck with your pies Also might want to google the question.

Take care
    /hugs
    Debbie

Biblenuggetlady Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lyngraphics View Post
    You out the pecans on top of the pickles so the juices run down into the filling... true story.
    Does it leave a pickle taste to the pie? I hate pickles, so the "pickle thread" stuck in my head.

Thanks everyone, I have about 30lbs of pecans in my freezer that my mother-in-law gave me. Everyone will be getting a pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

If your oven is good at holding its temperature you probably dont need to add any time.

However, if the pies are on two different racks you should swap them half way through cooking so they both come out even.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

I usually turn mine during baking, and if the mixture doesn't wiggle when shook any more, it is usually a good sign it is done.

The mixture should be somewhat 'solid' if touched in the middle.

Robert Guest

I just buy one pre-made

lyngraphics Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Biblenuggetlady View Post
    Does it leave a pickle taste to the pie? I hate pickles, so the "pickle thread" stuck in my head.
    Pickle-Pecan pie!! Icebear has the recipe!

lyngraphics Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I just buy one pre-made
    Now THAT is how to make a pie!!

phyrehart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I just buy one pre-made
    LOOOOOLLLLL

CHEATER!!!!

You can bake as many as will fit in the oven without touching each other or the sides. You need air flow around each one. The heat is the same whether it is 1 or 4. I usually bake 4 at a time. 2 on each rack. Follow the baking directions on the recipe.