Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone learning to play the guitar?

Default Anyone learning to play the guitar?

I purchased a Standard Stratocaster in "Midnight Wine" a few months ago after my dad passed away. Things have slowed down now and I'm looking at taking some lessons.

Anyone have any advice, tips, pointers, websites, etc. to help me get this hobby started?

TIA!
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed.
    ~2 Timothy 2:15

God said it, I believe it, that settles it.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Mel Bey are standards for learning guitar.

Homespun Tapes offers video, dvd, and other stuff.

Learn some chords, sing songs, and practice 15 minutes EVERY DAY.

Just some basics. Check with local music shops to get names of quality instructors.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

hurdler56 Guest

i taught myself using the internet, lol but mel bay has some really good books! lessons are great too!
    it is important to practice often too though! if not every day, then every other day!
    good luck C:

I recently taught myself how to play the bass. The most important thing was to learn where each note was on the fretboard.

For the guitar, I think it might be helpful to start by memorizing the hand positions for different chords, and practice moving between them. Just google guitar chord chart and I'm sure you'll find lots of help.

For me, it really helped once I got a handle on things a bit to play with a band, or to get some chord sheets and play along with a song. If your church has a worship team, you could see if they would mind you coming to practice and playing along with them as they practice.

Beyond that, you have to find out what works for you, don't get discouraged, and just do it.
    "I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand: for this I also believe, that unless I believe I will not understand." --Anselm of Canterbury

Hebrews 12:3-4
    For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

bgrasspicker Guest

Good responses. But the MOST important thing is getting that pick hand in time. You can learn scales and chords all day long. But if you don't have timing you don't have squat. Buy a metronome.

Sunny Guest

We like homespun as well. Lots of great instructional stuff.

http://http://www.workshoplive.com/satchzone/index.cfm
    "without Jesus my life on earth would be like listening to a neverending Fleetwood Mac song" BB

-------------------------- To Live Is To Die --------------------------

writesinme Guest

My oldest son has a Fender. He recently started taking lessons and loves them. He's going to a studio...it's $20 for 30 minutes once a week, but I have to say--he is really learning a lot from someone who is an amazing guitarist.

FunMudder Guest

My sons are teaching themselves using several of the websites already posted

I started with a James Taylor Greatest Hits songbook. Copied and learned all the chord icons, then played the songs I knew.
    Steam roller blues was the easiest. Years Later, I joined a praise team. No music but chords (sometimes a couple keys) were written on the lyric sheets. This was fun, everyone helped each other and encouraged each to learn more music.

I had a music major for a mom so I was familiar with alot of stuff, I can follow along but not really read the music.

Very important thing: Don't by junk. Lousy instruments are frustrating and often harder to play. That alone will discourage many wannabes. Check used sales and ebay. Ask music teachers at school for input on what to buy.

I have a Cort folk guitar and a Wasburn banjo. When I was young and skinny they were ok. Now I need a wider neck for wider fingers.... harumph.

Of course now I know to buy a Martin or Taylor guitar but a Gibson banjo is still too expensive. Maybe a Deering Crosfire -electric banjo....
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by funmudder View Post
    My sons are teaching themselves using several of the websites already posted
    including Satch?

"without Jesus my life on earth would be like listening to a neverending Fleetwood Mac song" BB

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecki View Post
    I purchased a Standard Stratocaster in "Midnight Wine" a few months ago after my dad passed away. Things have slowed down now and I'm looking at taking some lessons.

Anyone have any advice, tips, pointers, websites, etc. to help me get this hobby started?

TIA!
    I just started my lessons a month ago!! So far I love it. I bought an acoustic to start out on, to make it harder on myself. Am purchasing my first electric next week.

Ok, first, if you've never played much be prepared for the finger pain. When you very first start out, play for only around 10-15 min. put the guitar down and wait a good long while (I waited about 2 hours) , then play 10 more min., put it down, wait, play again, etc... It took me about a week and a half to build up enough callouses on my fretting hand to start playing longer and longer. Also, if you are like me, you'll probably have to cut off all your nails on your fretting hand...though it is easier to hold the strings down on an electric, so you may not have to do that.

I did find an instructor at a well known music store; he plays acoustic and electric, and likes a wide variety of musical styles like me. If you try to find an instructor, make sure they like "your" style of music.

If you are a beginner beginner, I love this guy's videos so far, though I'd never pay for any off of his site. My instructor was sick this week, so I found this dude to learn just a few more "newbie" things:

(If you follow this video, make sure that when you are practicing plucking single notes to vary whether you are plucking upward or downward with the pick, so you get used to the feel both ways)

Hmmm...try different pick thicknesses to see which one(s) you like. I started out with a medium thickness, but soon switched to thin for strumming on an acoustic, though I like medium for picking single notes, so it depends on the song, and what I'm going to be doing, so far.

Make sure the guitar is setting where you will see it, it will remind you to practice more often (I have more trouble putting mine down...)
    Last edited by Kliska; November 3rd, 2008 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Best thing I've done to help myself learn (though I'm learning bass guitar) is find an instructor. I have a private half-hour lesson once a week. He works with me on the MelBay books that have already been mentioned here. Also, he's walking me through a Fake Book to learn jazz standards.

Best advice I can give you is to keep at it. Give yourself time to learn and don't rush yourself.

So Lisa, what's your favorite bass rip?
    That one from Steve Wonder?
    Or maybe The Fish from Yess's Fragle album?

Or are you a Victor Lamonte Wooten fan?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBunny View Post
    including Satch?

I enjoy Joe Satriani's music. That link you posted won't load for me though. Can you double check the link for me?

Thank you everyone for your advice. I did pick up a Mell Bay chord book when I purchased my guitar, and I'm seriously considering taking lessons once a week (the local music store has about 20 teachers, and is only a block away).

A few years ago we bought an Art Lutherie accoustic because I loved the sound, but my tiny hands can't fit around it. The electric fits me better.
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post

I know you asked lisa, but here's one of my inspirations for wanting to take up bass...

"I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand: for this I also believe, that unless I believe I will not understand." --Anselm of Canterbury

Hebrews 12:3-4
    For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post

I'm a fan of anything funk or slap... not that I am good at either yet, but still.

Mark King was my inspiration.

I enjoy Joe Satriani's music. That link you posted won't load for me though. Can you double check the link for me?

Thank you everyone for your advice. I did pick up a Mell Bay chord book when I purchased my guitar, and I'm seriously considering taking lessons once a week (the local music store has about 20 teachers, and is only a block away).

A few years ago we bought an Art Lutherie accoustic because I loved the sound, but my tiny hands can't fit around it. The electric fits me better.
    Lessons! Great!!

I just ordered a new bass (it should be on my doorstep TODAY!) from a company called Luna. They specialize in guitars for women. They are supposed to be lighter and have necks more easily held by smaller hands... my hands are smaller than some of my students' hands! Creepy! Anyway, I'll let you know what I think when I have one in my hands.

linky should work it's footage from the San Francisco concert in 2000

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Lessons! Great!!

I just ordered a new bass (it should be on my doorstep TODAY!) from a company called Luna. They specialize in guitars for women. They are supposed to be lighter and have necks more easily held by smaller hands... my hands are smaller than some of my students' hands! Creepy! Anyway, I'll let you know what I think when I have one in my hands.
    Do the Luna guitars sound like the regular ones? I've been practicing today and I'm really frustrated at how I cannot get my fingers to reach the strings, particularly my ring finger reaching for the 5th string. It has a mind of it's own and won't bend like its supposed to. I can barely strum a C major, and an F major, forget it. I can do an A major pretty good though.

I start my lessons tomorrow night. $70 bucks for a month of lessons, which is once a week for a half hour. I was thinking that was pretty spendy, but maybe if I can at least do a month, then maybe just work on it on my own. I do have a computer program for learning the guitar (eMedia brand) so that would help a little bit too.

I guess patience is going to be my biggest issue.