Thread: Turkey help

Question Turkey help

We are getting a fried turkey this year, along with me making the traditional turkey since we are having a bunch of family coming over and I want to be sure there are alot of leftovers for us and for them to take home if they want.
    I'm getting the fried turkey from our local Piggly Wiggly the day before. They said to just reheat it when we're ready to eat.

Ok, that's fine. Now this year I'd like to bake the turkey the day before and then just 'warm' it up for the next day. (in other words I don't want to cut it up but leave it whole) I need the room for other things I have to bake and it just seems like that would be the easiest thing to do.
    Has anyone ever done that? How did it turn out? Was it dry? I'm thinking about putting a butter concoction under the skin before I bake it and then also keeping the juices.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Semper Fi! Always faithful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I've never done that, but I think if I was going to do it, I'd roast it in one of those bags made for roasting turkeys. WHen it's done cooking, I wouldn't open the bag. Then, when reheating it, I'd reheat it in the bag if that's doable.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

thats a good idea, i could see how that could work---- also maybe pre cook the turkey breast-down in the bag, then breast up when reheating it in the bag... maybe it will keep the meat from getting too dry?

injecting it with butter should help that a lot!

make sure you are doing this with an un-stuffed bird. that may not be safe, you probably know this, but it bears repeating.

Seemomgonuts Guest

We cooked our turkey upside down last year and it was SO good, the white meat was super moist (and stayed that way).

Sing4Him Guest

KB-- I personally wouldn't cook that nice turkey the day before and heat it up.

Just pop it in early in the a.m.-- so much more yummy than heated up and yeah, it would be dry and not taste the same.

I agree with Sing. It's far better to pop the bird in the oven early in the morning. You want to be sure it's fresh and moist.

I'm thinking I may just stuff it then instead of trying to free the oven for both things if I did them separately. It's been a couple of years since I stuffed a turkey and my family likes it. Thank you for your repsonses.

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Default friend needs Help with her First Thanksgiving Bird....

got this in email from a friend and figured maybe someone can help me give her some advice

(since I go to Golden Corral or friends houses for Thanksgiving I am not good at helping her out on this)

her email:

Can anyone give me some advice on how to cook a turkey breast?

I have never had to cook Thanksgiving dinner before,but this year it's just me and my 2 kids.

So I just got back from the store and bought a 6lb turkey breast, oven bags, a aluminum cooking turkey pan, and some chicken broth..LOL

I am also making mashed potatoes with cream cheese and sour cream and chives, and green bean casserole,but I know how to make those!

Never Never Never have made a turkey or whole chicken Ever...I don't know what to baste it with or what to put in the bottom of the pan....

All I do know is cook at 350 for 2-3 hours.

But I want it to taste good..I have butter, garlic salt , pepper etc.. I just need some help on what to do with it all, so I can make my first Thanksgiving meal and it actually taste good!

Please HELP me help my friend ...Thanks
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

I usually stuff some onion and celery into the cavity along with some salt and pepper and some herbs. Not to serve, but just to help keep the meat moist.

Rub some oil into the skin to help browning.

And dont go just by the time. Get a good meat thermometer and take it out about 10 degrees short of beaing done. It will 'coast' the last 10 degrees outside the oven.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

I like to mix butter and some herbs (just whatever I have on hand) and put that under the skin before I cook it.

Sunny Guest

She's doing only the breast, rather than a whole bird.

Don't worry, first thing. turkey is delicious ans unless you burn it or dry it out, it's goin to be fine.

since its your first one just do somthing simple. when the breast is thawed, rub it all over with oil, olive oil is good if you have it, and i like butter as well. that will help it to stay moist while cooking.

then sprinkle it well, all over, with any seasoning you like. i often use a simple poultry seasoning you can find all made up in the spice section, if you want to take the time to put the oil and spices under the skin, that's nice too, but if you are stressed, don't worry about it, it will be great with it just on top as well.

an oven bag is good for keeping it moist as well. go ahead and use that. just follow the instructions on the bag for how long to cook it for its weight.

it will be delicious! above all else, just don't stress, do it simply, and enjoy the day with your kids.

I would add more, but I think Valerie pretty well covered it. Have fun!

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

thanks for the suggestions. I just sent them to my friend Mandy

also sent her a link to http://www.allrecipes.com
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

My favorite way to prepare turkey breast is in the crockpot with fresh cranberries and chicken broth.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteMc View Post
    My favorite way to prepare turkey breast is in the crockpot with fresh cranberries and chicken broth.
    I have a friend who was just telling me a few days ago about making it that way. I'm going to have to try it sometime soon, maybe a few weeks after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

mmullig Guest

For the beginner or kitchen challenged, like me, the easiest and most secure way to cook a turkey (that you expect to actually be eaten) is to cook it in a Renolds cooking bag. The bag tells you exactly how long to cook it and on what temperature. It holds in all the moisture and produces a great meal. Of course the experienced cooks have great ideas for later, but for a first timer I say use the bag. All the trimmings can be fixed in a seperate pan. Good luck! I'm making corn on the cob and leaving the turkey to granny.. hehehehehe... HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!!

If you use a bag just make sure to open it for awhile at the end or it wont brown.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Pop the bird in the oven Thanksgiving day and put the other cooked turkey on the top shelf of the BBQ grill, away from the burner, with one burner on low, if you have a gas grill. Warm up the cooked turkey about 30 minutes prior to serving time. This will keep your oven free for the casseroles.