Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Church of God a cult?

Sahm Guest

Default Church of God a cult?

Can someone clarify this. I used to attend a Church of God and it was not a cult. So are you talking about something different?- Not the denomination Church of God? I'm confused.

Sahm

The Church of God is a Pentecostal church that believes in the word of God.
    They believe in healing, speaking in tongues, along with living a Godly life.
    But most believe if you are Pentecostal you are a cult.
    Thank God it does not matter what others think. Amen

Sahm Guest

So is this board literally saying that the denomination "Church of God" is a cult? I attend an "Assemblies of God" church and we are considered Penticostle, so does the board consider AOG a cult as well?

All because we believe in healing and speak in tongues?

Can I get a list of all the church denominations that this board believes to be a cult?

Sahm

Tron4JC Guest

The oriignal worldwide church of God denied the Trinity.

But that is no longer the case with the mainstream church.

Sahm Guest

OK, that was not the case at the COG I went to either.

I would still like to know what other churches are considered a cult.

Sahm

It's not just any cog denomination. Worldwide church of God or any offshoot of it is considered a cult. It was founded by herbert w armstrong. The cult has been nicknamed Armstrongism. Worldwide church of God denies the Trinity and believes you have to keep the Saturday Sabbath and all the Levitical feasts to be saved. they also believe the 10 lost tribes are actually the U.S. and Britain. I have heard in recent years they have changed their belief in the Trinity, but I am not sure how it affected their theology. Some years ago I knew a family in this cult. This is a very hard group to share the gospel with.

Dee

Incidently the name Church of God existed before Armstrong. He co opted it from the Pentecostals.

Default huh...

Maybe you meant the Church of Christ, or the United Church of Christ....
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

Librarian Guest

I have some very dear friends in the Church of God. They are NOT a cult, nor do they speak in tongues. I have been to their services. I find these accusations unsubstaniated and offenseive to my friends' reputations. I would apprecite it if time is taken to check facts, before slander is posted. Thank you very darn much.

Sahm Guest

OK, so it's not THE Church of God denomination but something else.

Instead of saying Church of God is a cult on the description of this forum, it should be changed to Worldwide Church of God? Just a suggestion.

Sahm

Ladybug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
    I have some very dear friends in the Church of God. They are NOT a cult, nor do they speak in tongues. I have been to their services. I find these accusations unsubstaniated and offenseive to my friends' reputations. I would apprecite it if time is taken to check facts, before slander is posted. Thank you very darn much.
    Now, simmer down. I don't know if anyone has ever looked on wikipedia for Church of God, but there are a BUNCH of denominations/churches that use that name. Just as there are a bunch of Baptists. I sure would hate to think that everyone judged Baptists based on Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church.

That being said, the Worldwide Church of God has not exactly been orthodox in its doctrine. I understand the past few years they've been trying to correct that.

my quesiton is similar to the OP's, so I guess I'll post it here...

Why is Judaism listed on the forum description as being part of the latter day cults? Do you mean certain sects of Judaism like Kabbala or something?

Correct! Judaism and Islam are not classic cults.

They might have been combind from other forums when "Modern Day Cults" was put together.

I think the Chruch of God International is a cult. Church of God is indeed a Pentecostal church like the AOG.
    Last edited by Todd; April 24th, 2007 at 02:16 PM.

ready-as-ever Guest

I am currently going throught the steps to be a minister with the Church of God of Cleveland Tennessee. They are named that becuase there are so many other "Church of God"s out there that are cults. It is a penticostal charasmatic denomination. We believe in the trinity and look forward to the pretrib rapture. If you have any other questions about this particular denomination I would be glad to answer them. You can also find out more here: http://www.churchofgod.cc/about/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by ready-as-ever View Post
    I am currently going throught the steps to be a minister with the Church of God of Cleveland Tennessee. They are named that becuase there are so many other "Church of God"s out there that are cults. It is a penticostal charasmatic denomination. We believe in the trinity and look forward to the pretrib rapture. If you have any other questions about this particular denomination I would be glad to answer them. You can also find out more here: http://www.churchofgod.cc/about/index.cfm
    In your Church of God statement of faith, it says the church believes in this.
    In speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance and that it is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
    I have a problem with this, not everyone receives the same gift upon the Holy Spirit entering in to ones heart. No matter how one reads it, tongues is no proof that you have the Holy Spirit within you. Proof is in the fruit, not in the ability to say words that you know not what you are saying.

Also this in your statement

Divine healing is provided for all in the atonement.
    I have a problem with this to. If we as Christians are to have divine healing at our disposal, than why don't we live a little longer, or why do we die from the same things as all the rest.

Christ came here to earth to Spiritually heal us, not physically heal us. He will physically heal us when He comes and calls us up, till than we are corruptible just as Paul tells us.

To teach these two things as the Church of God teaches is to teach an other Jesus. He did not come here to physically heal the Church the first time around. IMHO

ready-as-ever Guest

I agree with you when you say that not everybody receives the same gift(s) from the Holy Ghost (1 Corinthians 12:29). Speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of the baptism. One may not speak in tongues again after being baptized. If you study every instance of the baptism in Acts, in those who were baptized, a physical, outward gift was shown proving that they were baptized. You can see this in the first out pouring when those around the house began to marvel at the antics of the disciples. We also see that in Acts 8 that Simon had seen those who received the Holy Ghost. After seeing this happen he then said "Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit." What was it that made Simon believe that there is power in the baptism of the spirit? Maybe "they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." (Acts 2:4) Those who were baptized had an outward action that proved they were baptized. The Church of God believes that is tongues.

Divine healing is provided for all in the atonement (Is 53:5). If the healing was not for all, then salvation is not for all. Just as the gift of the Holy Spirit is provided for all (Acts 2:39). The gifts of the Holy Spirit are given within the will of God (1 Corinthians 12:11), so is healing. Healing does not have to be just physical; it can be mental and spiritual. It is pretty obvious that those who are in Christ do get sick (Philippians 2:25-27, 2 Timothy 4:20). Healing is provided for all, but all are not healed.

Do you have any scriptual evidence to back up your opinions?

Ladybug Guest

When you say 'baptized' are you referring to water baptism, baptism by the HS, or both?

(I attend Church of God (Anderson) btw)

FaithWalker Guest

Speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of the baptism. One may not speak in tongues again after being baptized.
    Ready-as-Ever I have always believed upon repenting of your sins and asking Christ into your life you are saved and filled with the Holy Spirit. Are you saying that if you have asked for forgiveness and for Christ to come into you life that if you don't speak in tongues then you are not filled with the Holy Spirit which would indicate you are not truly saved?

ready-as-ever Guest

Ladybug,
    We are talking baptism in the Holy Spirit.

FaithWalker
    Salvation and the Baptism in the Holy Spirit are two separate acts. Both acts are performed by God through our belief. This is evident in Acts. If the baptism of the Holy Spirit and salvation happen in the same act of God then the disciples were not saved until they were baptized at Pentecost. There is further evidence for the two distinct acts in Acts 8 were those who received the word and were baptized into the faith (water) later received the baptism of the Holy Ghost when Peter and John came to town. The same happened to Apollo in chapter 19 of Acts.

Can you be saved and not baptized in the Holy Spirit? Yes. This is evident with the thief who was on the cross with Christ. Pentecost had not happened and the Holy Spirit had not been sent. Remember the Comforter will not come until Christ leaves the earth (John 7:39). Through Christ we have been filled with the fullness of God (Ephesians 3:19), but the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is total submission to God so that you "shall receive power" so that we can be witnesses unto Christ (Acts 1:8)

I really love talking about God's Word but I need to get off. Please ask somemore questions and challenge me.

FaithWalker Guest

Ladybug,
    We are talking baptism in the Holy Spirit.

FaithWalker
    Salvation and the Baptism in the Holy Spirit are two separate acts. Both acts are performed by God through our belief. This is evident in Acts. If the baptism of the Holy Spirit and salvation happen in the same act of God then the disciples were not saved until they were baptized at Pentecost. There is further evidence for the two distinct acts in Acts 8 were those who received the word and were baptized into the faith (water) later received the baptism of the Holy Ghost when Peter and John came to town. The same happened to Apollo in chapter 19 of Acts.

Can you be saved and not baptized in the Holy Spirit? Yes. This is evident with the thief who was on the cross with Christ. Pentecost had not happened and the Holy Spirit had not been sent. Remember the Comforter will not come until Christ leaves the earth (John 7:39). Through Christ we have been filled with the fullness of God (Ephesians 3:19), but the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is total submission to God so that you "shall receive power" so that we can be witnesses unto Christ (Acts 1:8)

I really love talking about God's Word but I need to get off. Please ask somemore questions and challenge me.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that salvation and baptism of the Holy Spirit or two different things, but what I am finding confusing about the the post ready-as-ever made is that everyone once they recieve the Holy Spirit will speak in toungues....they may never do it again but they do it at least once intitially. If you have Christ in your life then you have the Holy Spirit in you....they are one with the father. So if you have the Holy Spirit because you accepted Christ then how do you explain someone who has never spoken in toungues like myself. However, I have recieved a prophetic gifting.