Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church of Christ

Struggling Guest

Default Church of Christ

Do they have a strong Christian doctrine? It appears by name they do but that does not always mean so. I've been invited to one tomorrow.

I belong to a Church of Christ. I reminds me of the Baptist Church I grew up in. About the only difference between the two is that Church of Christ has communion every Sunday morning. The Baptist church I grew up in was much more into preaching the rapture and end times than this one I attend here.

What I want to caution is that there are differences in churches specifically. I have found that just because a church is affiliated with Baptist, Church of Christ or another is that each church can be different - especially regionally.
    But yes my church is very biblical.
    One Day He's Coming! Oh Glorious Day!

Travis_Minnesota Guest

I believe the United Church of Christ embraces evolution! This is contrary to what the Bible preaches. They seem to be very liberal.

Check this link out: http://www.ucc.org/news/science-and-religion-at.html

Struggling Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Travis_Minnesota View Post
    I believe the United Church of Christ embraces evolution! This is contrary to what the Bible preaches. They seem to be very liberal.
    Based on my research I have not found this.

Struggling Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ReadytoGoNow View Post
    I belong to a Church of Christ. I reminds me of the Baptist Church I grew up in. About the only difference between the two is that Church of Christ has communion every Sunday morning. The Baptist church I grew up in was much more into preaching the rapture and end times than this one I attend here.

What I want to caution is that there are differences in churches specifically. I have found that just because a church is affiliated with Baptist, Church of Christ or another is that each church can be different - especially regionally.
    I agree. I went to a nondenomiminational church that was actually a Assembly of God.

Here is the COC doctrine. Looks good to me.

http://church-of-christ.org/who.html#plea

Quote Originally Posted by Travis_Minnesota View Post

Check this link out: http://www.ucc.org/news/science-and-religion-at.html
    Maybe there is a difference in the United Church of Christ and Church of Christ.
    My church definitely does not believe in evolution.

The Church of Christ/Independent Christian Church is not the United Church of Christ. They are completely different

The Church of Christ/Independent Christian Church believe in the straight from the Bible six-day creation.

" I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"
    Job 19:25

Do you want to reach people for Christ with the Gospel message of salvation?

ncgeezer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MsSophie View Post
    The Church of Christ/Independent Christian Church is not the United Church of Christ. They are completely different
    Absolutely correct, the two denominations could hardly be more different, from my experience.

Another caveat, however, from my experience. Many Church of Christ congregations are amillenialist, post-millenialist, or preterist in their view of Bible prophecy -- it tends to vary upon where the preaching evangelist received his training. If learning about Bible prophecy is important to you, then you will find these teachings frustrating when you hear them taught. If you find that you like some of the things that the Church of Christ does, such as weekly communion and local church governance, you might want to look into the Open Brethren churches near you. The Brethren churches share many similarities with the Church of Christ, but adhere to a premillenialist point of view with regard to Bible prophecy.

They believe that instrumental music, solo singing or choirs (apart from entire congregational singing) is not scriptural and therefore not allowed.

They also believe that Baptism is essential for the forgiveness of sins and therefore salvation, which is problematic for some.

Quote Originally Posted by narnia View Post
    They believe that instrumental music, solo singing or choirs (apart from entire congregational singing) is not scriptural and therefore not allowed.
    They also believe that Baptism is essential for the forgiveness of sins and therefore salvation, which is problematic for some.
    No they don't! At least not the one I'm a member of. We have a lot of music and yes instrumental and singing and a choir!

ncgeezer Guest

No they don't. At least not the one I'm a member of. We have a lot of music and yes instrumental and singing and a choir!
    Your congregation would be an exception to the rule, in my experience. Maybe your local congregation is truly independent and unaffiliated in any way with the traditional Campbellite congregations. The autonomy of the local congregation would certainly permit it, but I can't imagine that more traditional congregations would consider yours to be in good fellowship status, at least in my experience with the COC. And, by the way, I am not criticizing your congregation, but rather the very narrow and legalistic views of matters such as this in the COCs I attended. I'd be much more comfortable in your congregation these days than I would be in any Campbellite congregation.

narnia's description concerning the use of instumental music and the salvific effect of baptism is entirely consistent with my experience in the COC.

No they don't! At least not the one I'm a member of. We have a lot of music and yes instrumental and singing and a choir!
    Then I'd say you're not going to a church of Christ that's part of the traditional churches of Christ across the southwest US.

I don't think I can post links yet, but if you go to the link posted above and to the "Bible Study" link, click on the "Truth for the World" link and go to "Tracts" you will find a couple of tracts on how they traditionally have viewed these things as not scriptural and their arguments for why not.

Then I'd say you're not going to a church of Christ that's part of the traditional churches of Christ across the southwest US.

I don't think I can post links yet, but if you go to the link posted above and to the "Bible Study" link, click on the "Truth for the World" link and go to "Tracts" you will find a couple of tracts on how they traditionally have viewed these things as not scriptural and their arguments for why not.
    This is also from another one of their tracts at the same place "Does Baptism Save?" I would imagine there are many who would disagree with this.

What is necessary to save man from his sins? It takes Godís part which is grace (Ephesians 2:8), mercy (Titus 3:5), Christ Jesus (Matthew 1:21); His life (Romans 5:10); His blood (Romans 5:9); and the Gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). It also takes manís part which is faith (Romans 5:1); works (James 2:24); calling on the name of the Lord (Romans 10:13); hope (Romans 8:24); our effort (Acts 2:40); and being baptized (1 Peter 3:21). The Bible does not teach that man is saved by anything alone! God, through His Word, the Bible, says it takes ALL of these things to save us from our sins. To deny such is to deny the Word of God!

Quote Originally Posted by ncgeezer View Post
    Your congregation would be an exception to the rule, in my experience. Maybe your local congregation is truly independent and unaffiliated in any way with the traditional Campbellite congregations. The autonomy of the local congregation would certainly permit it, but I can't imagine that more traditional congregations would consider yours to be in good fellowship status, at least in my experience with the COC. And, by the way, I am not criticizing your congregation, but rather the very narrow and legalistic views of matters such as this in the COCs I attended. I'd be much more comfortable in your congregation these days than I would be in any Campbellite congregation.

narnia's description concerning the use of instumental music and the salvific effect of baptism is entirely consistent with my experience in the COC.
    We are not Campbellite. We are not affiliated with them. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I do not live in the south. So... Do NOT assume. This is what I said in my first post.

The Church of Christ/Independent Christian Church believe in the straight from the Bible six-day creation.
    Yes MsSophie you are right.

ncgeezer Guest

We are not Campbellite. We are not affiliated with them. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I do not live in the south. So... Do NOT assume. This is what I said in my first post.
    Why are you so defensive? From what you said about instrumental music in your church, it was fairly clear to me that your congregation was probably not a Campbellite congregation and so I used the term to distinguish between what narnia and I were describing and what your congregation does. I don't know enough about your congregation to criticize it in any way, so I didn't and I won't. If you are happy there and you feel like you are being well-shepherded there, then praise the Lord!

I do, however, know a good deal about Campbellite congregations, so I feel qualified to critique them as others ask about them. I can't be enthusiastic about recommending Campbellite congregations, for the reasons that narnia, myself, and others have given. As I have stated before, I think our experiences are more typical than yours. The original poster will need to attend the church to which he was invited and let us know what the affiliations are.

There are three different divisions in this church. The one you are speaking of is the Church of Christ non-instrumental. There is also the Church of Christ which broke off from them. They do have instrumentation. Then there s the Independent Christian Church. I used to go to the Independent Christian Church and they preach pre-trib, at least ours did.

" I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"
    Job 19:25

Do you want to reach people for Christ with the Gospel message of salvation?

<snip>

This is not a brethren teaching.

Narnia, you really need to do more homework before posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anddra View Post
    This is not a brethren teaching.

Narnia, you really need to do more homework before posting here.

I have a family member that is a minister for the Church of Christ. He has consistently told me that I must attend a church weekly and be baptized by full immersion to be saved. I love him dearly, but unfortunately, we cannot come to agreement on those issues.

From my own personal experience, Narnia is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Struggling View Post
    Do they have a strong Christian doctrine? It appears by name they do but that does not always mean so. I've been invited to one tomorrow.
    salvation through water baptism
    some teach you must remain active and attend services or lose salvation

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Struggling Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post
    salvation through water baptism
    some teach you must remain active and attend services or lose salvation
    Where do people come up with all these laws? Looks like it will be another week before I go.