Thread: First were the buses. Now atheists get a Student Society

Newsclues Guest

Default First were the buses. Now atheists get a Student Society

First were the buses. Now atheists get a student society
    Thursday 19 February 2009

Every religion on campus has its student society, from the Christian Union to the Jedi Knights. Now the non-religionists will have theirs too.

The National Federation of Atheist, Humanist and Secular Student Societies launches today to mobilise non-believers.

The "anti-God squad", as it is happy to be called, says it will fight for the voices of what it believes to be the majority of students to be heard on campus and further afield.

It is planning campaigns and events across the country to protest against religious privilege and promote the understanding of science.

It has the support of some of the country's leading critics of religion: the scientist Richard Dawkins, the philosopher AC Grayling, and the Guardian columnist Polly Toynbee.
    The launch comes four months after a campaign for 30 London buses to parade the slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

The campaign, first mooted on the Guardian's Comment is Free site by comedy writer Ariane Sherine, began in response to evangelical Christian adverts on buses.

entire article:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...tudent-society

She said: "We need to oppose zealotry and fanaticism of all sorts by promoting the positive and liberating case for believing that life on earth is precious, because the here and now is all there is, and our destiny is in our hands.
    "The humanist view of life is progressive and optimistic, in awe of human potential, living without fear of judgment and death, finding enough purpose and meaning in life, love and leaving a good legacy. It is great to see these values being taken up by today's students."

Omachi Guest

It's about time. Although, if it's anything like the Christian Union at my university, they won't me all militant and "God doesn't exist, you're a fool to believe in him". Hopefully anyway. I can't stand militant atheists, and I'm a atheist myself.

It's about time.
    Nope, it's about eternity.

We stand with Israel
    Genesis 12 verse 3

happy2serve Guest

Hi Omachi

Sorry I have to quote you:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

God, even though some stop believing in Him, doesn't go away, even though our 'reality, ie. the physical world' will eventually go away. Atheists will find out during judgment day this is the truth.

God bless.

And mods...sorry if this is tracking off course...I do apologize

cocopea9052 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post
    The National Federation of Atheist, Humanist and Secular Student Societies launches today to mobilise non-believers.
    Hum, well you know I suppose they can mobilize now if they so choose. But one day all "unbelievers" will mobilize, and it won't be on a bus, or on a school campus, it won't be at a Convention or Society meeting. It won't be to go cross-country and spread the word of "non-belief". But yes, they will all be mobilized, they will all stand together....and their worries over "if there is a God", will be put to a final rest, but uh.....I don't think they will be enjoying life...,....

BornAgain123 Guest

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel sorry for these people?

Really-it's NOT that they DON'T believe G-d exists, but it's that they CAN'T. IOW-they're doing nothing more than Sticking Their Heads In The Sand! They may look happy and smiley on the surface, but deep down inside, you can bet that they are worrying their tails off!

happy2serve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BornAgain123 View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel sorry for these people?

Really-it's NOT that they DON'T believe G-d exists, but it's that they CAN'T. IOW-they're doing nothing more than Sticking Their Heads In The Sand! They may look happy and smiley on the surface, but deep down inside, you can bet that they are worrying their tails off!
    Yes, I do very much feel sorry for them. Unfortunately, trying to explain the truth to the majority of them is difficult. I wish they would come to Christ so they could be at peace.

cocopea9052 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy2serve View Post
    Yes, I do very much feel sorry for them. Unfortunately, trying to explain the truth to the majority of them is difficult. I wish they would come to Christ so they could be at peace.
    Actually, I feel sorry for them too, but woe to the adults & parents who are leading them astray, God is going to pour out his wrath on them for sure. I mean, I know college students are mostly over 18, but they are still young adults. If they were not raised in a Christian home, then off they go to college and they think this stuff is normal and acceptable.. they are in fact proud of promoting equality, fighting for some ungodly cause... etc. ..they become submerged in the secular world with little to fall back on...they have no Christian values to fall back on or roots to return to. These kids are grown from parents who never embraced Christ. The blind leading the blind....It is a lost generation no doubt.