Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Biblical Argument for the Rebuilding of Babylon *Merged*

Default The Biblical Argument for the Rebuilding of Babylon *Merged*

All,

I just watched a video on NBC about the US giving $700,000 to help protect the original ruins of Babylon. Looking at this video, I see a conflict between our expectation of the rapture in the immediate future and the readiness of this site to serve as a capital of the NWO. Frankly, it is just ruins and would take many, many years to build anything close to what would be needed to actually run a world-wide government.

So, are we wrong about Babylon being the actual physical location of the capital and should be looking for a figurative Babylon instead? Or, are we very wrong about the feeling many of us have that the rapture will be happening very, very soon?

Thoughts?

Here's the video: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...08272#30108272

big wave Guest

I am absolutely positive that the Babylon of the end times and Revelation is the true Babylon not "mystery Babylon" as some would want you to believe. This topic has been addressed several times on this forum.

The NWO would be religion neutral which would never be in the US. I figure the NWO will be setup at a UN location before moving to Babylon,..

JMHO,
    Bw

ATYCLB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ClarionCall View Post
    Frankly, it is just ruins and would take many, many years to build anything close to what would be needed to actually run a world-wide government.

Thoughts?
    Dubai isn't Babylon, but it does show how fast a major city can grow.

Dubai 1991

Dubai 2005

Dubai 2007

ATYCLB Guest

JefferyDollars Guest

So to answer her question of which I am not an authority how quickly do you think we can get Babylon to be a commercial world power in order to justify our feeling of Christ coming back really soon. Because if your convinced that Babylon will be Babylon how long do you guesstimate that will take? If anything seems to be in the way of a really soon return Id think it would be this Babylon thing taking a long time to get up to snuff. Anyone have any theories of Babylon being the actual Babylon but not taking 25-50 years for it to be so???? or does Babylon even have to be that way before we can be taken out of here. Cus to be honest I am really rooting for a time frame of much less than that.

JefferyDollars Guest

Wow thanks AT! Thats is really encouraging. So in theory we could have a large commercialized Babylon in 16 years if it even takes that long. Hopefully even quicker. But does it even need to be at its height of power before the Rapture??

ATYCLB Guest

The thread I linked above, Babylon News Bites, details that there is already a great
    deal of attention being shown Babylon. The pieces are falling into place now. I don't
    think it really reaches its height of power until after the rapture and during the trib.

John MacArthur's series Babylon is Fallen is an eye opener.
    http://www.rr-bb.com/showthread.php?...23#post1129823

Sixteen years from today seems way too long based on what the current situation is in Iraq as well as the current state of the Babylonian ruins. My personal opinion based on what I'm seeing happen in the world is that the rapture could occur this year or next (of course could be today!). But, the need for a resurrected Babylon seems to make that timeframe impossible, unless there is a major time gap between the rapture and the tribulation.

I also see no logical reason why the NWO would be interested in going to such an isolated area in the desert when there are established cities they could set up in. Imagine not only the time it would take to build an infrastructure (electricity, water, sewer, transportation, etc), build the buildings, move people there, and the absolutely enormous cost! And why? There is nothing about the site that gives any advantage to a world wide government that I can see.

So, back to why do we feel the need to believe that the NWO will be located in literal Babylon?

big wave Guest

Sixteen years from today seems way too long based on what the current situation is in Iraq as well as the current state of the Babylonian ruins. My personal opinion based on what I'm seeing happen in the world is that the rapture could occur this year or next (of course could be today!). But, the need for a resurrected Babylon seems to make that timeframe impossible, unless there is a major time gap between the rapture and the tribulation.

I also see no logical reason why the NWO would be interested in going to such an isolated area in the desert when there are established cities they could set up in. Imagine not only the time it would take to build an infrastructure (electricity, water, sewer, transportation, etc), build the buildings, move people there, and the absolutely enormous cost! And why? There is nothing about the site that gives any advantage to a world wide government that I can see.

So, back to why do we feel the need to believe that the NWO will be located in literal Babylon?
    generic answer, the Bible. and the Euphrates River as mentioned specifically in Revelations

JWX2 Guest

Personally I think Babylon is "Rome"...Just my feeling from reading scripture!!!

ATYCLB, thanks for the link to the other thread and video.

Bethshaya Guest

Don't forget, the city of Babylon is one thing (in ruins), but it didn't say "city" in scripture, it just said "Babylon the great is fallen".

The term the great, is megistos, which means "a very wide application". It also means "be very afraid".

That area that once encompassed the Babylonian empire is highlighted above. Also note that the US just built a new, very large embassy in Iraq.

Revelation 18
    1 After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illumined with his glory. 2 And he cried out with a mighty voice, saying, “Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great! She has become a dwelling place of demons and a prison of every unclean spirit, and a prison of every unclean and hateful bird.

HisAlways Guest

All,

I just watched a video on NBC about the US giving $700,000 to help protect the original ruins of Babylon. Looking at this video, I see a conflict between our expectation of the rapture in the immediate future and the readiness of this site to serve as a capital of the NWO. Frankly, it is just ruins and would take many, many years to build anything close to what would be needed to actually run a world-wide government.

So, are we wrong about Babylon being the actual physical location of the capital and should be looking for a figurative Babylon instead? Or, are we very wrong about the feeling many of us have that the rapture will be happening very, very soon?

Thoughts?

Here's the video: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...08272#30108272
    A city can be built in a few months, with enough money and manpower. Joel Rosenberg states just this in his book "Epicenter". Considering this will be the center of world wealth, and rich ptb, it is far from inconceivable that this city will be able to be constructed in little time.

I agree. I don't know what it will be, but I just really doubt it is the literal city of Babylon. Perhaps empire...but...that doesn't seem right either. I guess we'd be long gone anyway and where isn't all that important.

HisAlways Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tooty View Post
    I agree. I don't know what it will be, but I just really doubt it is the literal city of Babylon. Perhaps empire...but...that doesn't seem right either. I guess we'd be long gone anyway and where isn't all that important.
    Babylon is the 1st or 2nd most mentioned cities in the Bible. Why would it be literal in one part, and then be changed all of the sudden, and be not literal in another part?

Quote Originally Posted by HisAlways View Post
    Babylon is the 1st or 2nd most mentioned cities in the Bible. Why would it be literal in one part, and then be changed all of the sudden, and be not literal in another part?
    Well, we all accept that the 7 churches written to in Revelation have more than one meaning, i.e. the message applies to modern day churches not just the named church. Revelation also uses the term "mystery Babylon". ???

HisAlways Guest

Well, we all accept that the 7 churches written to in Revelation have more than one meaning, i.e. the message applies to modern day churches not just the named church. Revelation also uses the term "mystery Babylon". ???
    Cannot compare the 7 churches. They are mentioned in Revelation only, and do not have the same name in modern day, however we know that they were all located in Turkey, and that location has not changed. Babylon had the same name in biblical days, as it does in modern day also.

"Mystery Babylon" could have many interpretations, but I'm sure it still has something to do with "Babylon". If God meant different meanings for logical names that we know, how could He expect us to understand what He meant? I believe the Bible is to be taken literally whenever possible. Otherwise, we could never expect to understand anything....and that was not God's intention.
    Last edited by HisAlways; April 9th, 2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: addition

PrinceSomeday Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HisAlways View Post
    Fine and dandy. Given that the REAL CITY of Babylon is just ruins today, with no news of any immediate change in that status, and the cost and time involved in making it ready to be the "capital of the NWO" (10-20 years), I guess any reasonable person can believe that we ARE NO WHERE NEAR THE RAPTURE YET!!!!!

Thanks! I needed that slap in the face. Guess we are all looking pretty silly thinking it is just around the corner.

Time to get on with life, serve, tell others about Jesus and let things unfold.

I guess all the other "stuff" going on prophetically is just "braxton hicks".

Oh well, it was a nice dream while it lasted. (Getting a free ticket out of all of our problems via the Rapture.)

PrinceSomeday Guest

My previous post was not being "tongue in cheek" guys.

You've convinced me ATLB that the Rapture is not going to happen until probably after I'm dead and gone.

There is no reasonable way to reconcile the literal mention of Bablylon other than taking it literally!!!!!

Bummer!

Given all the economic problems, rising persecution problems, etc., it would have been nice to live under the illusion that we were going to be leaving soon and didn't need to really worry about it.

Reality Check! For those of you who type things like "We're outa here" etc. every time some news item about prophecy hits, think twice before typing such glib comments in the future. Ask yourself, "Has Babylon been rebuilt yet?" If you get the current answer (no), then hold that thought...we are NOT "outa here".

Good job ATLB. Your strong argument has really ruined my day!!!! (I would rather have gone off with the gleeful thought, "Maybe today!" but not anymore.) Guess it was time to get my head out of the sand.

LovetheLord Guest

I'm not too well Biblically versed on the specific subject of Babylon. I will have to study this more.

However, I also can't see how the current Babylon will be a functioning city within a couple of years. It's just ruins now. Babylon was also a nation back then and not just a city. Can't it just mean that Babylon "the nation" is rising again?