Thread: Psalm 5

Amber Lynne Guest

Question Psalm 5

In Psalm 5 when it talks about "medititions" what does it mean? I am quite sure it isn't talking about anything New Age, but is it refering to prayers, study or something else?

Thanks!

Strong's defines "meditation" this way (from the original language

1) whisper, musing, murmuring
    a) murmuring
    b) musing
    I assume it means, please give consideration to my thoughts . . .
    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:

Psalms 2:2-4a

kcofohio Guest

According to the Strong's Concordance, here is the Hebrew definition.
    Meditate from Psa. 5:1
    H1901
    הגיג
    hâgîyg
    haw-gheeg'
    From an unused root akin to H1897; properly a murmur, that is, complaint: - meditation, musing.

Other translations of meditate from the Hebrew and Greek refer to imagine,
    to ponder.

(Psa 143:5) I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.

Strong's def. for meditate in Psa.143:5
    H1897
    הגה
    hâgâh
    haw-gaw'
    A primitive root (compare H1901); to murmur (in pleasure or anger); by implication to ponder: - imagine, meditate, mourn, mutter, roar, X sore, speak, study, talk, utter.

(1Ti 4:15) Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

Strong's Greek def. of 1Ti. 4:15 meditate,
    G3191
    μελετάω
    meletaō
    mel-et-ah'-o
    From a presumed derivative of G3199; to take care of, that is, (by implication) revolve in the mind: - imagine, (pre-) meditate.

Unlike New-Age, who clear their minds, we're told to fill our minds with God's
    Word, to consider God's handiworks, and keep it.

kcofohio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KaiafromBergen View Post
    I assume it means, please give consideration to my thoughts . . .

Amber Lynne Guest

Thanks y'all...you are confirming my thoughts!

ETA: this is hard to do on my blackberry, so I will check later from home.

Quote Originally Posted by kcofohio View Post
    Thanks, I agree with your post (not the one I quoted - well, that one as well! LOL)

As, you said, if we fill our minds with the thoughts/ideas/principles of God's Word, then our "thoughts" regarding issues on earth will reflect that when we pray.

There are many times I do not know what to pray, so, I will read (as a prayer) a passage of Scripture that seems to pertain to whatever the situation is, or how I am feeling, back to God. Or, sometimes a song or hymn that expresses my innermost thoughts as a prayer as well!
    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:

Psalms 2:2-4a

Amber Lynne Guest

Do you think these thoughts need to be spoken aloud, or can they be silent in our hearts?

Either or, God knows. I have spoken prayer with others, but usually not when I am alone. Jesus tells us that at times, or maybe most times, to pray in secret, and our Father sees it in secret, and rewards openly.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Amber Lynne Guest

Thanks y'all... It it good to know that I am going in the right direction with this...