Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tithing Thread *Merged*

Amber Lynne Guest

I think that what we store up has to do with following the unction of the Holy Spirit and doing what He says (those kind of "good works") and little or nothing to do with tithing.

WarriorOfTheFather Guest

Sorry, I'm a noob!
    But what exactly is Tithing?

Amber Lynne Guest

In the OT tithing was giving the first 10% of what you earned to God. First Fruits, if you will. Since Jesus came, we don't have to give 10% of our income to the church, but some (like myself) try to do so every month. It is my understanding that the Lord wants us to give what we can, 10% or more/less with a happy heart, not grudgingly.

Hope that make sense.

WarriorOfTheFather Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lynne View Post
    In the OT tithing was giving the first 10% of what you earned to God. First Fruits, if you will. Since Jesus came, we don't have to give 10% of our income to the church, but some (like myself) try to do so every month. It is my understanding that the Lord wants us to give what we can, 10% or more/less with a happy heart, not grudgingly.

Hope that make sense.
    Oh I see..., I'm unemployed though so I can't make any contributions sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lynne View Post

Hope that make sense.
    The biblical tithe was an ordinance of the Mosaic Law for the use and benefit of national Israel under the Old Covenant. The full tithe was given to the tribe of Levi, first, in exchange for his loss of land inheritance in Israel and, second, because of his servant service to his brothers in the Levitical house of Aaron who alone served as priests. A tenth of the first tithe was, in turn, given by the Levites to the priests who ministered at the altar.

The basic tithe was not to be used for building houses of worship. Since pagan dust defiled, the original tithe consisted solely of the increase of land produce from Godís sanctified land of Israel and from the increase of animals herded on the land of Israel. Although the tithe could be exchanged for its monetary value, the tithe itself never consisted of money! A second (and third) tithe was also given to provide food for festival occasions, and to provide welfare food for widows, fatherless, orphans and needy strangers in Israel.

Tithes Were Not the Same as First-fruits

The first-fruit was a very small amount of the first crop harvest and the first-born was the first offspring of animals. The first-fruit was small enough to fit into a hand-held basket (Deut. 26:1-4, 10; Lev. 23:17; Num. 18:13-17; 2 Chron 31:5a). First-fruit and first-born offerings went directly to the Temple and were required to be totally consumed by ministering priests only inside the Temple (Neh. 10:35-37a; Ex. 23:19; 34:26; Deut. 18:4).

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/id11.html#_ftn2

novembergirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The allspark View Post
    ive never like huge houses , so instead of a mansion i would be fine will a tiny little house haha .
    Same here. I just want a cozy little cottage with beautiful flowers in my yard.

samuel Guest

Default Why we pay Tithe?

Why we pay Tithe?

1. It belongs to God.
    2. It is Holy.
    3. Because we love Him.
    4. We Obey God's commandments.
    5. God appointed Jesus to receive Tithe.
    6. There is no lacking in God's House
    7.We may receive bountiful blessings.
    8. There is no lacking in servant of God's life.

JoyfulSister Guest

AMEN!!

samuel Guest

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat
    in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of
    hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you
    out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Amen! I don't tithe out of legalism or some kind of duty, but out of honor to my Heavenly Father who gives me the ability to earn what I receive!

Christina Guest

I don't know that I would consider anything about tithing to be legalism per se, it's about obeying the Lord and he has commanded that we give to the Lord what is the Lord's Matthew 2:21, Hebrews 7:1-12 and I think the "10%" stems from verses 2 & 4 where Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils to Melchisedec the king of Salem. Remember that the "tithe" or giving goes to the Church for a variety of reasons. Usually the Church doesn't expect anything from those that are not members, tithing or giving is usually referring to the members and it goes to support the teaching of the Lord's Word, it goes to missionary programs so the Gospel can get out, it goes to youth programs, etc....even if the Bible didn't instruct us to give, I would STILL give to help support the work of my Church, the reaching out of my Church.

Amber Lynne Guest

The Lord would rather you give ten cents happily than ten percent grudgingly.

From what I understand, everything belongs to God, and as we, in the Church age, are not under the OT Law, we should realize that we (to use a popular saying) cannot out give God.

But, in the Scripture, the Lord has only required 10% as belonging to HIM. Anything above that is an offering. BUT, I feel, if any of this is given out of "obligation" or "for earthly acknowledgment" and not given out of gratitude, I wonder how much it will mean to God?
    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:

Psalms 2:2-4a

jc513 Guest

Because, we can't outgive God....

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jc513 View Post
    Because, we can't outgive God....
    That I agree with!!! God is SO GOOD!!!

GodsForgiven Guest

Default Tithing Info needed

Hello all,

My wife and I are not currently with a church so we try to tithe online. We have given to Christian Radio stations and John Hagee Ministries in the past. With JHM, We have given to the Exodus program.

My question is, are there any other Jewish programs that I can tithe online to? If not I will go with the Exodus program again.

Hi GodsForgiven,

The Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability is a good place to search for responsible ministries. You can search by member name, state or ministry type. For instance, the below link is from searching their list under "Messianic, Jewish Ministry"

http://www.ecfa.org/MemberSearch.asp...yType=MCJEWISH

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

How about Jews for Jesus?

Another vote for Jews for Jesus here.

Also, Joel Rosenberg's Joshua Fund. Just click on *Joshua Fund* on his home page, http://www.joelrosenberg.com

May God bless you and lead you in your giving!...

I like the Canadian Bible Society and also contribute toward a young woman I know personally who is a missionary overseas. I also like World Vision.

Thanks for the link, Tiger Lily...I will use it!
    So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36