Thread: Red Velvet Cheesecake (by Southern Living)

Default Red Velvet Cheesecake (by Southern Living)

Red Velvet Cheesecake

This recipe is delicious, and is especially beautiful at Christmas or New Year's. Don't forget to cook it in a water bath to keep it from cracking--seal the pan at the bottom with foil and put it in a jelly roll pan with an inch of water. (There's good directions on how to do this online).

Prep: 20 min.; Bake: 1 hr., 25 min.; Stand: 1 hr.; Chill: 8 hrs. The cheesecake's deep red filling and snowy topping is wonderfully dramatic. Fresh mint sprigs add a pop of Christmas color.

1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup whole buttermilk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
    2 (1-ounce) bottles red food coloring
    1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Garnish: fresh mint sprigs

Stir together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.

Beat 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar at medium-low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients, mixing on low speed just until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared crust.

Bake at 325° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is firm. Run knife along outer edge of cheesecake. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Cover and chill 8 hours.

Beat 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over top of cheesecake. Remove sides of springform pan. Garnish, if desired.

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

Southern Living, DECEMBER 2004

Thank you! I might have to give it a preview before Christmas though.
    It sounds wonderful!
    One Day He's Coming! Oh Glorious Day!

Oh

My

Word!

My two favorite cakes in one!
    Zechariah 10:8-9 "I will signal for them and gather them in. Surely I will redeem them; they will be as numerous as before. Thought I scatter them among the peoples,, yet in distant lands they will remember me. They and their children will survive, and they will return."

Lisa in OK Guest

Ok. That should be outlawed.

alexsmiles Guest

I was thinking about making my mom one for her birthday Saturday. You're from Louisiana too! Do you have the John Folse cook book? It's amazing (: I made some chicken etoufee earlier for dinner and it was delicious!!!!

Highland888 Guest

Wow...finally found a great recipe for the best cheesecake in the world,

southern style. Thanks!