Thread: food for chest infection?

DrSoup Guest

Default food for chest infection?

Hi all...

My brain is fuzzy with this infection thing I have and I need some suggestions. You see, I'm having a BIG problem with inhaling food at the moment due to my sinuses being partially blocked, and a very irritated throat (due to coughing from pneumonia). Even the noodles in chicken noodle soup runs the very real risk of being inhaled

And herein lies my problem. For the last two days I've had MAYBE 400 calories (if that) of chicken broth, yoghrt drink and yoghurt (to counter act the negative effects from the antibiotic). I know I need to eat more because the body needs stuff to work with if I'm going to get better...but I'm running out of ideas (that and the fact that my thinking has been cloudy since all of this started).

What other foods would y'all suggest my hubby pick up at the store tomorrow? He wants a list and my ideas run out after 'chicken broth'. I have to watch my sodium intake, so I can only have so much broth in a day.

Thanks gang!

pedxing Guest

DrSoup,

So sorry you are having this problem. Don't know if this
    suggestion is possible but could you drink Ensure? It's full
    of things good for you. I think its sort of like a thick milk.
    It's suppose to be complete nutrition.

Hope this gets better for you soon.

If I were you, I would either call or see my doctor or I would go to the emergency room. You may be dehydrated and you electrolytes may be out of kilter.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by DrSoup View Post
    Hi all...

My brain is fuzzy with this infection thing I have and I need some suggestions. You see, I'm having a BIG problem with inhaling food at the moment due to my sinuses being partially blocked, and a very irritated throat (due to coughing from pneumonia). Even the noodles in chicken noodle soup runs the very real risk of being inhaled

And herein lies my problem. For the last two days I've had MAYBE 400 calories (if that) of chicken broth, yoghrt drink and yoghurt (to counter act the negative effects from the antibiotic). I know I need to eat more because the body needs stuff to work with if I'm going to get better...but I'm running out of ideas (that and the fact that my thinking has been cloudy since all of this started).

What other foods would y'all suggest my hubby pick up at the store tomorrow? He wants a list and my ideas run out after 'chicken broth'. I have to watch my sodium intake, so I can only have so much broth in a day.

Thanks gang!
    Have you tried saline nasal spray for your sinuses? Just like a swim in the ocean, it works like a dream. It burns like FIRE when you have an infection but just hold tight and do it until that stuff is dried up and gone.
    Some old fashioned chicken, garlic , onion, celery, carrot soup would be great. Maybe you could have dh make it and put it in the BLENDER... Feel better!

Any of the cream soups they have that are premade in the deli area of the supermarket are pretty good. Safeway has a tomato and basil cream soup. Applesauce would be another good nutrient rich food if you get the organic, non-sugar added one.

Otherwise, pediasure has a lot of nutrients and it is a liquid you could drink.

Michele93 Guest

If you are so sick that you can't eat and your mind is fuzzy due to infection/illness you really ought to contact your doctor.

Dairy products facilitate mucous production and are not the best thing to take if you have a sinus infection or any sort of congestion. Stick w/soup and fluids. There is a nasal douche product called Alkalol that is soothing and dissolves mucous. You have to snort it up your nose and hold it. You won't believe what comes out! Gross. It is very soothing. My Gyn recommended it when I got sick while pregnant and couldn't take drugs.

DrSoup Guest

Thanks for the ideas all....I have seen my doctor and she isn't concerned about things...just says to eat more (what can I say...she is not usually very helpful).

The pediasure type thing was a good idea....I'm going to pick up some Ensure to supplement things with.

The seedless watermelons are pretty good right now and would be so easy for you to eat chunks. It would help keep you hydrated and be nutrisious.

Shayna Guest

What about Gatorade to help rehydrate you? Also, consider popsicles to soothe your throat.

DrSoup Guest

Thanks for the feedback gang. I'm starting to feel better....but overdid it a bit today (went back to work for ahlf a day before I gave up and went home). I can eat again, but still have to be careful because sometimes I inhale while chewing still (strange reflex). At the moment the best thing I've tasted has been soup with a plain (no butter) toasted bagel....talk about heavenly!! It tasted sooooooo good! *lol*

thanks again for your ideas.

Rmf3175 Guest

This might help............

I had gotten an endoscopy done about a year and a half ago. (that's where they send the camera down through your stomach to your small intestine)

I had to put this numbing stuff in my throat that detined the gag reflex, and the nurse made sure I understood to put my chin down towards my chest whenever swallowing to prevent anything from entering my windpipe. It does work. I forgot to after taking the stuff and sure enough it was like inhaling my own spit.

Now when I take my meds I always try to remember to do this, so I was thinking it might help.

When doing cpr you should put the head back so as to open the airway, so this is just doing the opposite to close it.

Sunny Guest

I don't take additional friendly biotics while on antibiotics, unless it is long term.

I figure that I will let the antibiotics attack the bad bacteria rather than what I am eating.

But as soon as I am off, I eat tons of yogurt, but especially kefir. Home made has 34 probiotic bacteria, store bought has 7, yogurt has about 2.

When I shop for yogurt, I purposefully buy types that have differing bacteria, all in live form. You would be surprised if you began reading all the labels. I usually buy 3 differing ones.

You can also buy acidophilus in the cold section at the health food store.

Or just learn to make kefir and get them all in just a spoonful a few times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by jestersmom View Post
    Dairy products facilitate mucous production and are not the best thing to take if you have a sinus infection or any sort of congestion. Stick w/soup and fluids. There is a nasal douche product called Alkalol that is soothing and dissolves mucous. You have to snort it up your nose and hold it. You won't believe what comes out! Gross. It is very soothing. My Gyn recommended it when I got sick while pregnant and couldn't take drugs.
    Agreed. Also, for sinus issues, being stopped up, use Afrin nose spray, original--pump mist--also, see if your dr. can prescribe you some Prednisonse-it's great for the inflammation in your nose from sinus infections--it's cheap, too. For OTC medication I like Tylenol Sinus Severe. You need to be drinking liquids. Try liquid jello--warm it up--it's good. even I like it, and that's saying something.

If it's really bad the saline probably won't work but for 2 seconds. You can also use Vicks Vapor Rub on your chest and I even put a dab under my nose. If you can, lay under a vaporizer.

(I get sinus infections about every three months--and that's after surgery, and allergy shots twice a month, and daily Zyrtec and Nasonex.)
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!