Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: John Piper *Merged*

Please be patience with me, but I have a sincere question to get at the truth
    that Dr. John Piper is considered in apostasy. I looked at the site presented on this site and I could not find anything that would be in opposition to the Word of God. Thanks for helping me in advance.

contenderofthefaith Guest

i'm confused to... i thought John piper was a good preacher?

Quote Originally Posted by contenderofthefaith View Post
    i'm confused to... i thought John piper was a good preacher?
    John Piper has compromised on the issue of postmodernism as a philosophical current of thought. You may find the following article chilling:

http://www.rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=75262

POSTMODERN BLUR GENERATING MIDDLE-GROUND MANIA

Another symptom of postmodernism’s influence on evangelical hermeneutics is what could be called “middle-ground mania.” The interpretive atmosphere of today appears to impose an insatiable appetite for theologians to have the best of two worlds—to locate themselves between established positions—thereby mixing literal and nonliteral hermeneutical principles in various combinations.

John Piper provides an example of this by classifying himself in three theological camps, dispensatinalism, covenant theology, and new covenant theology.

John Piper has some things in common with each of these views, but does not classify himself within any of these three camps. He is probably the furthest away from dispensationalsim, although he does agree with dispensationalism that there will be a millennium.

Many of his theological heroes have been covenant theologians (for example, many of the Puritans), and he does see some merit in the concept of a pre-fall covenant of works, but he has not taken a position on their specific conception of the covenant of grace. In regards to his views on the Mosaic Law, he seems closer to new covenant theology than covenant theology, although once again it would not work to say that he precisely falls within that category.93

Postmodernism sees merit in contradictory systems to the point that a person positions himself in either a “none-of-the-above” or an “all-of-the-above” category as has Piper.

For a time, progressive dispensationalism was alone in seeking a compromise between covenant theology and dispensationalism. Now at least three theological camps are vying for position in the hermeneutical gap that separates the two systems. All this comes because of the “middle-ground mania” that postmodernism has generated. Further, it all comes through the sacrifice of consistent grammatical-historical hermeneutical principles.

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by OnceWasLost View Post
    Apostasy is all around us now, it's time to choose a side and be counted. Having anything whatsoever to do with anything contemplative is choosing a side. Have fun with that Mr. piper.

you are so right on both counts

BTW, there will be excuses still made for John Piper and David jeremiah and Charles Stanley and ravi Zacharias

and even some pastors in my town who have gone over the dark side (i.e. the apostasy side)

BTW:

to my friends Erik Raymond and Pat Abendroth and to the members of Omaha Bible Church

who are fans of John Piper

(but are bigger fans of John MacArthur and Phil Johnson

wake up to the apostasy that John Piper is pushing.

John Piper is as much a false teacher at this point as Rob Bell or John Ortberg or Brian mcLaren
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

candlelight Guest

Another one bites the dust. heartbreaking!!!

Dani_El Guest

I've been reading more and more disturbing things about Piper which is sad.

I've enjoyed many of his sermons, but I'm starting to reconsider due to these associations.

In the last days, with all that is going on, it pays to err on the side of caution when it comes to teachers and preachers, no?

If anyone who is most familiar with Piper could post the strongest case for this concern, it would be appreciated. I have a few friends who hold him in high regard and I would like to share it with them.

Baruch HaShem,
    Dani' El

l also got a couple of friends who like John Piper. Is this artice on the Christian research Network?

Follow he links in the op, and go through Joel's post #10 and follow the rr. link.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani_El View Post
    I've been reading more and more disturbing things about Piper which is sad.

I've enjoyed many of his sermons, but I'm starting to reconsider due to these associations.

In the last days, with all that is going on, it pays to err on the side of caution when it comes to teachers and preachers, no?

If anyone who is most familiar with Piper could post the strongest case for this concern, it would be appreciated. I have a few friends who hold him in high regard and I would like to share it with them.

Baruch HaShem,
    Dani' El

Dani_El Guest

I just contacted a friend with great discernment and she gave me this link from John MacArthur who is rebuking Driscoll for his foul language, and Piper for not doing anything about it-

http://defendingcontending.com/2009/...iscoll-part-2/

....Yes, I did inform John Piper and C. J. Mahaney of my concerns about this material several weeks ago. I itemized all of these issues in much more thorough detail than I have written about them here, and I expressly told them I was preparing this series of articles for the blog.
    To those asking why pastors Piper and Mahaney (and others in positions of key leadership) haven’t publicly expressed similar concerns of their own, that is not a question for me. I hope you will write and ask them.

---------------------------------
    That settles it for me.
    Piper is out IMO.

So what's the deal with Richard Foster and Kenneth Boa? I'll check out the books by them and compare scripture and then see what I can present to my friends. I don't think the article is going to be convincing to them so i'll research this personally so they cant throw the bias arguement out at me because I quoted from the source. I'm also going to research Matt Chandler and listen to a couple of his sermons to see if anything is wrong. I'm really just trying to be objective and not be swayed by other's research when I didnt personally research to see if it was true.

gist:

richard foster info

(see) http://rr-bb.com/tags.php?tag=richard+foster

and do a search on here.

Quote Originally Posted by candlelight View Post
    Another one bites the dust. heartbreaking!!!
    and what is heartbreaking the most is

how many pastors and christian leaders nowadays have gone from sound doctrine into apostasy

Quote Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
    gist:

richard foster info

(see) http://rr-bb.com/tags.php?tag=richard+foster

and do a search on here.
    Thanks Billiefan.

Quote Originally Posted by giest075 View Post
    So what's the deal with Richard Foster and Kenneth Boa? I'll check out the books by them and compare scripture and then see what I can present to my friends. I don't think the article is going to be convincing to them so i'll research this personally so they cant throw the bias arguement out at me because I quoted from the source. I'm also going to research Matt Chandler and listen to a couple of his sermons to see if anything is wrong. I'm really just trying to be objective and not be swayed by other's research when I didnt personally research to see if it was true.
    Lighthouse has volumes on foster.

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch....hardfoster.htm
    http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch....cleprinter.htm

candlelight Guest

What is so disappointing is almost every Pastor I know has some John Piper books, and many are not even aware of this. I am finding out also, just because someone is a Pastor does not mean they have discernment either. It was my former Pastor that gave me the "Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennon Manning to read. Sheesh!!!

What is so disappointing is almost every Pastor I know has some John Piper books, and many are not even aware of this. I am finding out also, just because someone is a Pastor does not mean they have discernment either. It was my former Pastor that gave me the "Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennon Manning to read. Sheesh!!!
    Funny that you mentioned Piper just as I came back from Sunday service here. The pastor, who is no way emerging (in fact, his wife speaks very sternly against that movement), quoted and asked everyone to memorize specifically this quote verbatim from Piper, "God is most glorified if we are most satisfied in Him". (Taken from Piper's "Desiring God")

I believe the theology lurking behind this quote is problematic, but I need a very detailed Scriptural study to analyse it before posting a Bible-based rebuttal here.

candlelight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JoelH View Post
    Funny that you mentioned Piper just as I came back from Sunday service here. The pastor, who is no way emerging (in fact, his wife speaks very sternly against that movement), quoted and asked everyone to memorize specifically this quote verbatim from Piper, "God is most glorified if we are most satisfied in Him". (Taken from Piper's "Desiring God")

I believe the theology lurking behind this quote is problematic, but I need a very detailed Scriptural study to analyse it before posting a Bible-based rebuttal here.
    It is just so disheartening Joel and some of this stuff is so obscure they way they word things. Sounds good on the outside, but the inner meaning is something else. Lord, please give us discernment!

............I am instantly "on alert" when any pastor says these words...."everybody repeat after me.....blah,blah blah blah blah blah blah......."..........unless those words are direct Bible quotes..............in context...............

Sounds good on the outside, but the inner meaning is something else. Lord, please give us discernment!

joel im not sure where you got that quote but it wasnt worded right so i went to the web site and found the right one.

What Is Christian Hedonism?

My shortest summary of Christian Hedonism is: God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.

We all make a god out of what we take the most pleasure in. Christian Hedonists want to make God their God by seeking after the greatest pleasure—pleasure in him.
    Last edited by petras; May 4th, 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: so i could bold the statement. and just the statement
    if....i feel bitterly towards those who condemn me, unjustly, forgetting that if they knew me as i know myself they would condemn me much more, than i know nothing of Calvary love